UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

An Idea: Roman Britain Book

Chris Mills

I have decided to try my hand at a bit of fictional writing, and where better to start than with a time that I have had an interest in for years? I am 20 and have come up with a concept for a book based during the first invasions by Rome into Britain. The basic theme of my idea is a group of Speculatores that head into Britain on a recon mission. They manage their way into a relatively large settlement acting as traders and then things turn pair-shaped (obviously, what would a book be without things going wrong?)

Does anyone know of any Roman, similarly themed books that I could perhaps have a look at? I think the idea is pretty original but am unsure, unfortunately I do not have as much knowledge of Roman Fiction as I would like (Or Roman anything!). Also, do you guys know of any interesting fiction/non-fiction that I could get hold of based in Roman Britain around the time of the invasion of Britain? 

Thanks in advance!

(Also, feel free to let me know if you think it's a bad idea)

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris, seems like an ambitious project especially as you claim you dont really know much about Romans. Simon Scarrow and Anthony Riches have written novels set in Roman Britain the closest time period you have in mind would be from Keith Nixon, you might want to look into those....