UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Axel Wers

Your connection with Roman Empire

Have you any connection with Roman Empire?

Mine: I live in town Trencin (in Roman age named Laugaricio), modern Slovakia. In 179AD Romans defeated german tribes in this area and left inscription on the rock below the today Trencin Castle. Thanks to this inscription we know about settlement in this area what makes Trencin one of the oldest towns in central Europe. Marcus Aurelius planned to create a new province here, but died and Commodus withdrew from this area.

• Like 1

Salve!

Although I have grown up in the US, I was born in Sardinia (I am a naturalized US citizen, adopted by American parents). Sardinia became part of the Roman "Republic" after the First Punic War (see the summary elsewhere on this site). Sardinia was settled by Carthaginians along its coast. There have been speculation that Rome attempted to place a colony in the mid-4th century, according to Ptolemy's geography (scholars today dispute that for the most part, as no other evidence exists). What is more clear is that once Rome held Sardinia, it faced the fun of putting down several revolts during the 3rd century (Manlius Torquatus) and 2nd century (Ti. Sempronius Gracchus, and M Caecilius Metellus). Despite all that, Sardinia was one of the mainstays of Rome's needed grain supply, even according to Cicero. At least, that is, until Octavian conquered Egypt.

(Historical material comes from Dyson & Rowland's Shepherds, Sailors and Conquerors: Archaeology and History in Sardinia

• Like 1

My connection with the Roman Empire? There was a small Roman town on the outskirts of the modern conurbation called Durocornovium, which started as a work camp for legionaries building the road NW toward Corinium. When they left, the Britons decided it was a good place to settle, and afterward the Romans returned and administered the ara in their own inimitable manner. There was a thriving pottery industry to th west of the town, shrines based on worship of local water deities (it's believed that an important temple site existed there). Several farmsteads and villa sites are close by along with a substantial mansio. The local Britons retained occupation of the Barbury hillfort, and later, re-occupied Liddington Hill. There are disused and redeveloped quarries in the southwest of the town that were used in Roman times - the rock surfaces are still visible in many places. The main roads in the ara are based on Roman roads, heading toward Venta Belgarum, Corinium, and Calleva Atrebatum. Durocornovium would wither in the late empire whilst its southern neighbour a few miles away, Cunetio, would thrive until the Roman withdrawal. No local amphitheatre is known to exist (although I have heard rumours of one from a dubious source)

I live near Virunum, what was once the capital of Noricum. Also the legendary town of Noreia (cimbri and teutons defeated the Romans) is said to be somewhere around here. The place i actually live has never been an official town, but rather a postal station, there are many findings but no settlement, however there are roman carriage tracks carved into the stone from heavy use of the centuries... It was the also one of the few "provinces" that more or less peacefully integrated with the Empire...

I feel the desire for the unity of the Roman world and identify myself as a Roman.