UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Did Marco Polo go to Alaska?

A set of documents, brought to United States by an Italian immigrant, may reveal new details about Marco Polo’s travels in Asia, including that he possibly explored and mapped Alaska. Marco Polo (1254-1324) was  a Venetian merchant who wrote a detailed account of his travels into Asia, where he spent over 20 years, including being in the service of the Mongol ruler Qubilai Khan. His work, known as the Book of the Marvels of the World, was one of the most famous accounts of Eastern Asia from the Middle Ages, although Marco noted that “I did not tell half of what I saw.”  Besides his account of his travels of Asia, very little is known about Marco Polo. It seems that a set of fourteen documents might offer some new insights into his life.

...full article at the Medievalist

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/did-marco-polo-discover-america-180952765/?no-ist "

But as Olshin is first to admit, the authenticity of the ten maps and four texts is hardly settled. The ink remains untested, and a radiocarbon study of the parchment of one key map—the only one subjected to such analysis—dates the sheepskin vellum to the 15th or 16th century, a sign the map is at best a copy. Another quandary is that Polo himself wrote nothing of personal maps or of lands beyond Asia, though he did once boast: “I did not tell half of what I saw.”" And Rossi, who donated the map, seems a pretty dodgy character. ~~~~
  • Like 1

When I was in Venice earlier this month, our guide took us to Marco Polo's old neighborhood. She pointed out the houses around that had been surely owned by the Polo family, but there was some question as to which house was actually Marco Polo's specific residence. Some said it was this house, others said it was another house.

Strange, that for a man who is today known as having provided so much information on the China of that time, and brought back so many wonders, that there should be such questions about maps, and even where he lived.

I hope the maps don't turn out to be forgeries. I would wish they would simply remain of questionable origin, if not outright be found to be genuine. Forgeries always leave history unsettled, and make it more difficult to put forth theories about events or places.

I saw a story on this topic on an American television show called America Unearthed.  It was really fascinating and seemed entirely possible.  Who knows.  In the meantime, I just finished the series Marco Polo.  I'm wondering about some of the events depicted, but I know little about Marco, so I would have to find a reputable read for clarity.  Years ago there was a short series made about his life that I enjoyed more because it showed more of his travels throughout China and not just his interactions with Kublai Khan.

I copied most of the old maps in the maps room of the library of congress back in jan 2008, I recall one with a chinese ship, but I remember africa being the focus of my attention. I was stationed in Anchorage, Alaska at the time, so would of noticed alaska popping up.

This being said, being set off with one ship, as a foreign captain, with a foreign crew.... to visit a japanese godess at the bottom of the eastern sea.... yeah. I think someone didn't like Marco Polo if true, and he likely shocked the hell out of everyone when he successfully returned with proof. What proof you can get from Alaska that you can't find in say, the Kamchatka Peninsula, is beyond me.... it looks exactly like Alaska to me. Same trees, salmon in the river, similar inhabitants.