UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Five Books on Roman Fun

MarcusMettius

A Cabinet of Roman Curiosities by J.C. McKeown – A collection of fun facts about ancient Roman life.  The chapter named “Not For the Puritanical” sets the tone.

Cicero:  The Life and Times of Rome’s Greatest Politician by Anthony Everitt – Okay, I’m cheating there.   But Cicero was one funny dude, and his one-liners about incest, bribery and the rest are classic!

Laughter in Ancient Rome by Mary Beard – I particularly loved her chapter “From Emperor to Jester.”  From the quips of Augustus to the antics of Emperor “Whoopee Cushion” Elagabalus it was a fascinating read.  Also a warning to comedians to tread carefully among the powerful.

Can I cheat and add a movie?  A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  Zero Mostel.  ‘Nuff said.

The Golden Ass – Apuleius.  I mean, lines like, “My proposal therefore is that tomorrow we slaughter him, remove his insides, and sew up the girl in his belly naked – since he prefers her company to ours…” Hilarious!  Ughh.