UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onasander

Roman Passions

733. Hinc metuunl. The passions are generally ranked under these four heads: fear and grief; joy and desire. The two first have for their object present or future evil; the two last, present or future good. Autos: in the sense of evlum.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qWTRAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA384&lpg=PA384&dq=manes+vs+soul&source=bl&ots=89rwRUChIY&sig=w4FfgUGrYeDaotLG0F0dSMik8yw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=E2E7VN6VB4WXyATdyID4Dw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwCDgK

I can sorta understand this, but don't know the origins of this roman understanding of present and future division of emotions.

Can anyone tell me what primary source to look at?

The Romans often categorised things - sometimes they explained or justified it, sometimes they didn't. The same attitude covered just about every realm of knowledge. Why? To be honest I haven't seen an adequate explanation in print, but I would say that it was a simlification for ease of learning, the Roman obsession with order, and the desire to sound learned and clever.

It's a typographical ordering of emotive states into two categories of time.... it has neurological implications then, and is important for the history of neurology.

I just don't know it's origins, I came across this after a very long search for something unrelated, and was fascinated by it.

Merely compare it to this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6vheim_cube_of_emotion

Edited by Onasander