UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
cinzia8

5th century Diorama

Hi all:

My upcoming novel will be out in late March.  I'm getting ready for my first presentation and thought it would be an interesting addition to create a Diorama for display.  Does anyone know of any reputable online stores that sell figurines?  My book is set in the 5th century, so if I could find some barbarians, late Roman soldiers, a model coach, francisca, composite bow, anything related to the times, even women, accessories etc. but in miniature this would be fantastic.  I will shop myself, but recommendations help the process.

Thanks,

Cinzia 

Can't help you, Cinzia (hopefully someone else can), but I'm looking forward to the novel.  Any sneaky insider peeks to be had?

Hi all:

My upcoming novel will be out in late March.  I'm getting ready for my first presentation and thought it would be an interesting addition to create a Diorama for display.  Does anyone know of any reputable online stores that sell figurines?  My book is set in the 5th century, so if I could find some barbarians, late Roman soldiers, a model coach, francisca, composite bow, anything related to the times, even women, accessories etc. but in miniature this would be fantastic.  I will shop myself, but recommendations help the process.

Thanks,

Cinzia 

I would try Jasper Oorthuys, he is director at ancient warfare magazine, they are heavy into miniature models and know lots about it...

Here his facebook profile https://www.facebook.com/jasper.oorthuys?fref=ts

Hello,

I don't know of stores, especially since I'm from the eastern part of the EU, but I know about miniatures of the 5'th century.

It really depends on what scale you would like the miniatures to be, the material (plastics, metal, resin) they are made of, the size of the diorama and how much you want to invest in it. Also are you going to paint them (as figures from most manufacturers come unpainted!) or do you want to buy them directly painted? (many companies that produce them offer painting services at cost)

The smallest scale I'd recommend is 28mm (meaning about 3 centimeters each miniature), mostly a metal scale, and that one still has good detail.

You can find details about companies that produce these kind of figures here (just search for Late Roman, Goths, Huns, Picts)

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/Bazaar/minisources25.html

There is also 1/72 scale (smaller than 28mm, about 2 - 2.5 centimeters) where you can find many cheaper plastic miniatures. If you want big dioramas this is a good scale but has less detail and plastic is harder to paint than metal. There is a great review site for them here (just search for Late Roman, Goths, Huns, Picts):

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=4

Another scale is 1/32 and it's close relative 54mm (meaning 5-6 centimeters each miniature). I couldnt find review sites or manufacturer lists for this scale, but it seems there are individual (not sets) models at this scale for this period. They cost the most though.

Bogdan

Hello,

I don't know of stores, especially since I'm from the eastern part of the EU, but I know about miniatures of the 5'th century.

It really depends on what scale you would like the miniatures to be, the material (plastics, metal, resin) they are made of, the size of the diorama and how much you want to invest in it. Also are you going to paint them (as figures from most manufacturers come unpainted!) or do you want to buy them directly painted? (many companies that produce them offer painting services at cost)

The smallest scale I'd recommend is 28mm (meaning about 3 centimeters each miniature), mostly a metal scale, and that one still has good detail.

You can find details about companies that produce these kind of figures here (just search for Late Roman, Goths, Huns, Picts)

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/Bazaar/minisources25.html

There is also 1/72 scale (smaller than 28mm, about 2 - 2.5 centimeters) where you can find many cheaper plastic miniatures. If you want big dioramas this is a good scale but has less detail and plastic is harder to paint than metal. There is a great review site for them here (just search for Late Roman, Goths, Huns, Picts):

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=4

Another scale is 1/32 and it's close relative 54mm (meaning 5-6 centimeters each miniature). I couldnt find review sites or manufacturer lists for this scale, but it seems there are individual (not sets) models at this scale for this period. They cost the most though.

Bogdan

Thank you, Bogdan.  This is great information.  I don't want to paint. I just thought I'd get a few figurines to add to a small diorama used in conjunction with a book reading.  The information on the scales will be quite useful.  I will check the links you posted and see what I can find.  I just bought some replica coins and a few fibulae and a replica codex.  A few barbarian and Roman soldiers would be the perfect final touch I think to the display. Thanks again.

Cinzia