UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New History Books (January 2015)

Aurelia

Sexing the World: Grammatical Gender and Biological Sex in Ancient Rome

I was about to have an epileptic seizure when I saw this title, thinking it was some San Francisco Linguist Philosopher who decided sex was all language based, and it was okay to sex any object or person, be it voluntary or involuntary.... be it a polar bear or a mousetrap, but apparently this work deals with the latin and greek practice of giving wrong sexes to animals or inanimate objects.

He apparently claims it had a logical, dualistic order at some point, but then Latin lost it, and now it's fossilized in a state that doesn't make much sense.

I might read this, if for nothing else to find out why the ancients got the blantantly obvious so very wrong. A man is a man, and a woman is a woman except in certain medical freak cases. And they are freak, by default. Duh. Harsh language, but it's the blantant reality. I wouldn't tolerate someone trying to tell me all fish were male or female as a category. One is male, the other is female in each species, unless you can prove the are unisex in reproduction. I'll accept some confusion regarding trees, or the above mentioned hermaphrodite, but not to the point of changing the entire structure of the language. It makes no sense to me.

Edited by Onasander