UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Via Egnatia

cinzia8

Hi Cinzia,

The Stanford-site calculates it would take 16 days to get from Brundisium to Constantinopolis in sping,

travelling the fastest way as a civillian by foot over land and sea.

See the printscreen below.

Safe trip,

Auris Arrecitibus

post-9835-0-14783500-1422992446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Auris Arrectibus

Hi Cinzia,

And this is another one: I guess even better than the other two to get your answer.

It calculates how many days it takes to get from one place to another, depending on season, which way to travel (over land, sea, &c.) and what transport (foot, oxcart, &c).

See: http://orbis.stanford.edu/

Safe trip,

Auris Arrectibus

Auris, this looks awesome and somewhat daunting. ( I backpacked from Zurich to Istanbul and got lost more than a few times. :-) ) I will delve into it this week.  I decided they should make the trip by sea (four men, two women).  I've just been looking into which port stops they will make leaving from Brundisium to 5th century Constantinople.  This will help a lot.  Thanks!

Naw, he would just add the forum with two subforums.

People like you can start topics on how to write a book, research it, best software for ebooks, marketing, grammar and cover design.

Caldrail, as he made it to professor of history status, would be the ideal leader/authority for writing a nonfiction history book.

There are a lot of authors where I'm from, we have writer groups. This website has a tendency to attract authors. I thought it would arise naturally, but hasn't yet. Been pondering asking him. Just, I don't know much about Viggen, other than he is really, really old, is a Austrian, and started this site as part of a role playing game, and for selling maps. So he might only be doing this to recruit new players for all I know.

It just makes a lot of sense to do this, it give the site a lot of credibility, and as a hub of potential and actual authors, would be a magnet for publishers and even movie producers looking for the next big book or script.

Too many sites pretend to be academic in orientation, like their a history journal. I don't know of any that actively seeks to support authors as real people with real gaps or need for select, specific knowledge. We're increasingly like a reference librarian here, which is fine. Just libraries have writer groups too. It seems a natural evolution of a aspect of what we're already doing. We just would systematise and dedicate a section to it. By we, I mean Viggen. I would just watch.

LOL   It's a great idea, but sounds like it would require some organization.  As a writer, I like having a source where I think the members are versed in the many different aspects of history and know of resources.  I also like that this site focuses on the Roman world.  One of my favorite topics was when I asked about stirrups and everyone went crazy. LOL  It seemed odd to me that Aetius having lived with the Huns would not have mimicked them if the Huns used stirrups like some scholars (one Hungarian in particular) believe.  In any case, it was lively.  For the record, I've stayed with the status quo on that topic.  However, perhaps a writers forum would stimulate lively debate on historical theories and also act as a resource for writers as you say and also add that added dimension to the site that you mentioned.

You would have to be the leader. It's your 'baby'. LOL   BTW, Viggen is not 'really, really old.' LOL Perhaps, just wise.  Cinzia

I don't recall that thread, but Aetius would of been restricted to the equipment he could get. I suppose he could of used them, shock tactics did start coming into existence towards the end of the Roman Empire, but it wasn't nearly as advanced as the medieval era.

I'll give you an example. I'm the one who first used a camera attached to a helicopter in Iraq, but that war isn't going to ever be listed as using that kind of surveillance device. Hard core historians will list regulations, will list the seeming lack of info on Google searches (and oddly enough it used to be there on Google).

Stuff pops up and dissapears in warfare all the time. I recentally saw someone use my mirror idea (45 degree angle) that I used as a tactical mount ONTOP a scope (mine was behind it), and for a while the at, via JROTC in Louisiana, taught how to make my pluck goggles I made from Rubberbands, Paper Clips, and Duct Tape.... Though admittedly I haven't seen it used in a while.

Technology pops up and dies off quick, just depends on how willing command is to tolerate it, and more important, adjusting tactics to adjust to it. Even with the emphasis on innovation, the US Army had TRADOC as a hurdle to innovation, as well as mass equipping of soldiers. Some of my ideas works, some failed, but none really seem to of taken off. Doesn't mean however that pockets of lower level innovation didn't exist.

I'm a INTJ, it's expected I'll do that. Aetius isn't too far off from that personality. But he seems of of used ENTJ functions over INTJ in approach to intrigue and alliance building. Just the impression I get. He never really took off. But this being said, it's easy to step in and out of this functional divide for either type. He likely had a pretty awesome bodyguard. But since everyone gets butthurt on stirrups, I'd back off too. I really don't know how often they popped into existence until their systematic adoption.