UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onasander

Pseudo-Kaisarios’ 'Erotapokriseis'

I was doing background research on "The Tablet of Cebes" (think I figured out the origins of the tablet, but hardly the interpretation around it), and I came across in my googling Psuedo-Kaiserios..... near everything is in German about him, so it hasn't been translated yet into a modern language.

The very little I could find suggests he lived shortly after Julian the Apostate. Is he even q Roman, or some medieval European writer?

Looks Greek for 'False Leader' to me.  I'm not an expert/Greek speaker/educated person, though.

I can tell from the title it is a "Questions and Replies" format, the Erota aspect is the old sexual pedo component of education, where a senior would "instruct and guide" a younger student/protege. We still use this form, just our professors inappropriately molest their students at a lower frequency these days.

However, what the questions and replies are, I don't know. The Pseudo aspect merely signifies someone at some point (perhaps that author himself) presumed it belonged to a historical figure other than the real author, a case of mistaken identity. It doesn't deny or lessen the importance of the text, though it does unfortunately give the work a unwarranted stigma, as they tend to go untranslated. None the less you can often date a text, and know its subject matter.

Like I said, only stuff I can find is in German, nothing legible.