UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

New History Books (May 2015)

The "Seleukid Empire of Antiochus" and "Universal Salvation in Late Antiquity" look interesting.

The "Seleukid Empire of Antiochus" and "Universal Salvation in Late Antiquity" look interesting.

hey, i didnt know a book title with BC in it, could spark your interest! ;)

You need to re-read my 'About me' page!  :whistling:

You need to re-read my 'About me' page!  :whistling:

i know, still thats the first time (i noticed) hearing you say BC on this forum ;)

I knew you were going to ask that.

The Seleucid book does look interesting.

Universal Salvation in Late Antiquity: Porphyry of Tyre and the Pagan-Christian Debate (Oxford Studies in Late Antiquity)

Hardcover is 84.15, the kindle is 124.99.... which makes NO SENSE! If you charge more, charge more for the hardcover.

I guess I'm just gonna wait this one out, despite its a topic I've actively studying. Its the insane high prices for philosophy books of this time period, especially primary texts that keep people out.

It would be insane to pay $124.99 for a book that you can download free from the Internet, e.g. at http://dl-books.com/universal-salvation-in-late-antiquity-porphyry-of-tyre-and-the-pagan-christian-debate

I have never understood why people would pay for books after they have bought an e-reader.

Since Porphyry is rather unlikely to receive his share from the royalthies of the book sale, it is not unfair to circumvent the rip-off by Amazon.

Universal Salvation in Late Antiquity: Porphyry of Tyre and the Pagan-Christian Debate (Oxford Studies in Late Antiquity)

Hardcover is 84.15, the kindle is 124.99.... which makes NO SENSE! If you charge more, charge more for the hardcover.

I guess I'm just gonna wait this one out, despite its a topic I've actively studying. Its the insane high prices for philosophy books of this time period, especially primary texts that keep people out.

Kindle is 68 dollar....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WN5C7EC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_twi_2_kin?qid=1430676757&sr=8-1&keywords=Universal+Salvation+in+Late+Antiquity%3A+Porphyry+of+Tyre+and+the+Pagan-Christian+Debate+%28Oxford+Studies+in+Late+Antiquity%29

Its not, unless your seeing it in another place. I can only find it at this link.

I don't really steal stuff anymore unless its obnoxiously priced (this is borederline, but I can wait till the price goes down), and at that, its only info, but I now go out of my way to try to buy it.

I had to steal a lot of food as a kid just to eat, wasn't ever too thrilled with it. I recalled reading a poem by Rumi where he was describing people window shopping in a market, enjoying the sight of artistic goods but neither buying to support the artist nor contributing their creative labor in creating such goods. Its where I break with Cynicism (which isn't much of a break, the Sufi tradition is acknowledged to of been well founded under the string influence of the Cynics).

I actively contribute to discussions on a variety of forums. Can't really say I'm a showpiece model of the ideal contributor, as I don't dress myself up in conventions, but I do actively press and exchange said ideas. Try to keep in the mix. When a book costs $100 bucks and above though, its obnoxious. It doesn't do anyone any good. I understand the University Library scam.... publish a book for $200-$300 bucks and tell your professor buddies to buy it using their university book stipend. Many will release the kindle version at an affordable cost, 20 bucks area. Voltaire understood it was the cheap affordable pampletes that mattered, not the expensive, exhaustive works. When you produce absurdly priced books, it might not as well exist. Its hardly immoral beyond a Ayn Rand argument to take such absurdly priced works in their pirated form. But it is when the person was realistic, and cared enough about the topic they are discussing to make it accessible. They should benefit and be positively reinforced for their behavior. I think realistically priced book falls into that category, the link above does not. I certainly won't be buying that kindle book anytime soon. Its a embarrassing waste. Be realistic, and make it affordable. What's the point otherwise?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WN5C7EC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_twi_2_kin?qid=1430676757&sr=8-1&keywords=Universal+Salvation+in+Late+Antiquity%3A+Porphyry+of+Tyre+and+the+Pagan-Christian+Debate+%28Oxford+Studies+in+Late+Antiquity%29

Its not, unless your seeing it in another place. I can only find it at this link.

I don't really steal stuff anymore unless its obnoxiously priced (this is borederline, but I can wait till the price goes down), and at that, its only info, but I now go out of my way to try to buy it.

I had to steal a lot of food as a kid just to eat, wasn't ever too thrilled with it. I recalled reading a poem by Rumi where he was describing people window shopping in a market, enjoying the sight of artistic goods but neither buying to support the artist nor contributing their creative labor in creating such goods. Its where I break with Cynicism (which isn't much of a break, the Sufi tradition is acknowledged to of been well founded under the string influence of the Cynics).

I actively contribute to discussions on a variety of forums. Can't really say I'm a showpiece model of the ideal contributor, as I don't dress myself up in conventions, but I do actively press and exchange said ideas. Try to keep in the mix. When a book costs $100 bucks and above though, its obnoxious. It doesn't do anyone any good. I understand the University Library scam.... publish a book for $200-$300 bucks and tell your professor buddies to buy it using their university book stipend. Many will release the kindle version at an affordable cost, 20 bucks area. Voltaire understood it was the cheap affordable pampletes that mattered, not the expensive, exhaustive works. When you produce absurdly priced books, it might not as well exist. Its hardly immoral beyond a Ayn Rand argument to take such absurdly priced works in their pirated form. But it is when the person was realistic, and cared enough about the topic they are discussing to make it accessible. They should benefit and be positively reinforced for their behavior. I think realistically priced book falls into that category, the link above does not. I certainly won't be buying that kindle book anytime soon. Its a embarrassing waste. Be realistic, and make it affordable. What's the point otherwise?

...well following your link i get the same result, 68 dollar for the kindle, i am not defending high prices of books but i do have wasted 68 bucks on much worse things than on a book...

8dw86dv4.jpg

I have 2 books on rome available on amazon and would like to know how i can bring them to the attention of your readers.

"A walk with the emperors, a historic and literary tour of ancient rome," and "quality management from a roman perspective.".

Both books are authored by mott groom and sell for 2.99.

Mott groom

• Like 1

???

It is listing yours in dollars, not Euros, and I don't think the Euro bounced back that sharply.

I don't get this.

Can anyone else see a price difference in a location that isn't the US?

Okay, think I know what is going on:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/lawsuit-alleges-amazon-charges-prime-members-for-free-shipping-031414.html

Apparently I've been typed for the dynamic pricing (stupid amazon apparently hasn't noticed I never buy a book over $30 bucks, so the trick backfires bad, as I just never buy the book till it goes down. Only exception is when I do work for a professor and have a book sent to me as payment). Assholes think I'm paying that much.... they are out of their minds. I'm seriously considering just moving to Washington DC so I'll have access to the Library of Congress.

Edited by Onasander