UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why Did We Change

Death penalty isn't appropiate for rape. They should slowly and painfully castrate the rapist first, then execute the death penalty.

It's vengeance alright. Holding someone accountable for something they are responsible for. Fine with me.

Penalties are either correcting or preventive measurements. Death penalty is obviousily a preventive measurement. It get's rid of the criminal and serves as a deterant. In an pre-modern society, putting up examples such as death sentence obviousily works allot better then educating the people why they're not supposed to do something. It was communication in a world were ICT wasn't as advanced.

Alright, just my two cents. ;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that serious criminals should be executed.

I don't see what the big deal is, I'm not a criminal and have nothing to fear.

I also believe that if the West returns to it's Roman and Pagan attitudes we would no longer be in decline.

don't think the aformentioned things were barbaric at all. I actually think that if some things were still the way they used to be, our world would be much better.

Hey, great news. China has resurrected the time honored tradition of killing people in a stadium and crushing prostest with the military. I'll sign you up for you chinese passport and secret decoder ring, good luck!! :(

The death penalty has changed over the years for a number of reasons. Here are a few that stick out in my mind...

First is death and exile. Many times a death penalty could be avoided by voluntary exile, especially in Rome. Simply go away and stay away until the heat dies down and people might forgive you. This was of course much harder to do if one- you offended a powerful person who wanted a long reach, and two- if you were too poor to travel.

Remember, if you are dealing with the viewpoint of a tribal type of society, exile was often a death sentence. The tribe wouldn

In an ideal state, one could abolish the death penalty and have humane punishments. If the world can grow the hell up and get rid of military spending this would be a simple thing. Death is defeatist.

Okay, I'm not against abolishing the military...... or even reducing military spending if we could get away with it; however, I am stumped as to how this sudden influx of money would result is humane punishments over the current practice.

I'm not for abolishing the military alltogether...I believe we need a standing army to properly defend ourselves (because even if we have reserves...if there is no standing army and war breaks out it would be practically impossible to call everyone up, train them, and deploy them in time)

However I think the military spends alot of money that does not need to be spent (well the government in general does) and that could and should be changed.

Don't you guys think that these days 'human rights' are going overboard? The people who seem to benefit the most are the criminals.

I reckon that hanging is a very humane form of punishment and if murderers, baby-rapers, hijackers, etc are executed en masse by the thousands then this world would be a better place. Either they get executed until they learn or until there's nobody left to hang.

Personally, I don't care if the death penalty costs ten times more, it's a lot more satisfying to know that they're going to get killed. I don't understand why people give a damn about those pathetic wretches or feel sorry for them, the world doesn't need them.

I'm a law-abiding citizen and have nothing to fear.

"Human rights"...ech. I really do wonder about them. I mean, prisons have...gyms, libraries, cable tv, 3 FREE (for the criminal) square meals a day and everything you need for life. and they don't have to work for it. The LAW ABIDING CITIZEN however, gets to work their butt off for all of this stuff, and they don't get to have quite a bit of it, and a good portion of their meager income gets to pay for convicts to have all of that stuff they can't afford.

Mom, I wanna be a convict when I grow up! :D

Historically, jails as concieved by modern people are a very recent invention. If you look at Rome, you will notice that punishment was meted out and you either went on your way or had to work as a slave or worse in some occupation until the perscribed debt was paid. It could be the rest of your life or some years, but you didn't languish in a prison doing essentially nothing.

Now, personally I am against capital punishment. For most of my life I supported it, but as I have grown older I see the all too human flaws in the justice system...and there is no release for the innocent after the death penalty has been applied.

However, I am in no way saying not to punish offenders. I has no problems with life imprisonment under hard labor. I want to see prisons try and pay for themselves as much as possible. It can be a micro society in which the lesser offenders are given the skills necessary to continue with law abiding lives once released, and lifers are made to pay for their keep else they live in low squallor. Prison reform has to include methods of employment and means to decrease governmental costs of a steadily increasing prison population.

IMHO, of course.

and there is no release for the innocent after the death penalty has been applied.

I'm willing to take that risk. The benefits in my opinion far out-weigh the risks. Anyway life is about risks, driving a car has it's risks but the benefits far out-weigh the risks....a person has a far higher chance of getting killed in a car accident or slipping and dieing in the bath than being an innocent executed.

"If the Republic should fall to save one innocent man, then let the Republic fall."

I guess I'm also getting to be more French as I get older too. :lol:

Ah well, I guess we can agree on this line from the movie Major Dundee:

" I intend to smite the wicked, not save the heathen."

B)