UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
monad

The Roman Tribes: A New Perpective

Hello All,

I have uploaded a paper to academia edu. titled "The Roman Tribes: A New Perspective."

https://independent.academia.edu/StevenJames1

The paper shows how to convert the Servian Constitution (The Century Assembly) into the internal structure of the Roman tribe. This process shows that the Roman tribal system was adhering to the doctrines of Pythagoras.

Hello Viggen,

I wrote a long reply on Word and it will not paste no matter what I do and I have given up. I am not in the mood to rewrite the whole thing again due to some technology problem, so I won't be. I am an amateur historian. I am not an academic. Does that mean I have less credibility? The paper I posted was a watered down version of my research which is part of my book "Rome's Legions: Decoding Their Pythagorean Organization 753 BC to 410 AD.

After eight years I have finished the book and it has been reviewed and examined by academics. They have not been able to refute it and they have no idea of what to do with me. As all my conclusions contravene and challenge almost every popular and established theory concerning the Romans for the last four hundred years I am not that popular with some academics. I have found that if you want academics to accept you, its is better to conform than make discoveries.

...are you having a bád day? :naughty:

I asked a simple innocent question and you attack me of questioning your credibility, which i cant as I havent even read anything other than the headline and a few sentences and was curious who the person is behind that paper (as there was nothing on academia other than a name) and even offered it to upload it to our download section...

...at least i know now that you seem to have an explosive temper :whistling:

..in any case, welcome to the forum!

Hello Viggen,

Hold five. I never for once took you as attacking my credibility. The question about not being an academic was general in sense. I should have written it as " do people think if you are not an academic you cannot have anything to offer." It was more in a response to the replies I get from publishers.  The publishing world seems to think only professional academics would have the answer, and that a book is easier to sell if I was an academic. Sorry, getting this all the time from the publishing world.

As for a bad day, no, but trying to get the paste mechanism to work was annoying. In my original word version, the credibility issue was written differently,  but as I was rewriting this again I was cutting corners because I was annoyed at the time I had wasted doing it on word and I was adamant I was not going to rewrite the whole thing over again.

Second posting and already problems. I think I will give forums away. I don't like misunderstandings. However, do read the paper and let me know what you think. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I'm the only one around here allowed to have his foot in his mouth, as that's my function. You two stop trying to steal my thunder.

I'm both a philosopher (actual philosopher) of the Cynic/Stoic tradition and have a extensive background in military texts from around the world. My user name more or less gives that away. I'm currently busy doing research on Onasander's use of monoamine sequencing in his military text, came to the conclusion he was using a modified version of Aristotle's outlook on emotions. He seems to of had a better grasp of the neurological cascade than many modern theorists in neurology. No one noticed this, given everyone thinks he is a Platonic philosopher. My mixed background allows me to see things others can't.

If you PM me a draft of your larger thesis, I can break it down and offer a proper reply, the kind academics aren't remotely trained or experienced to offer. Their opinion doesn't matter as much as they like to think it does, they tend to lack that intuitive spark that allows you to sniff greater things out. Universities seem determined to stamp it out of people.

Edited by Onasander

Your paper is tangential in its timescale. You can't put forth evidence of Neo-Pythagorean and Christian philosophical discourse during the imperial era as evidence for a pre-republican reform.

Second point I need to point out is, the high mortality rate in the citizenry, juniors will always outnumber seniors (at least we should hope so). It would be very useful to juxtaposition this ratio against other known statistics for similar, premodern armies. Your not looking for voting blocs, but rather the sustainability of having older men in the field in active physical duress, the high cost of having them ignore economic and administrative enterprise while off doing young men's work. You haven't given convincing evidence at this juncture that they did this voluntarily. Biology might of forced the issue. Just how did Rome differ from other societies, and what frictions did the Romans have to suppress to intentionally force this system to hold its mold even when actual population demographics didn't favor it?

As to the larger ratios, in regard to the cosmic standards.... why are they so few? Even if your correct, you give remarkably little insight into this "reform" in concrete terms, or even hypotheticals, for the era we are actually considering. How much was intentional, how much was accidental and a consequence of Roman Empericism, having discern proper troop ratios from actual tactical needs from the viewpoint of command and control against enemy forces?

Your asking us to suppose Rome at this point turned to abstract thinking in what a military unit OUGHT to be, and not the orthodox IS gained from Empericism, tradition, and reaction to and study of neighboring systems they could realistically expect to face.

Furthermore, given the interrelation between Religion and the Military, you would assume if the Romans adopted it on this lever (their constitutional voting blocs), they would of saturated the rest of their society with Pythagorean concepts. So.... how is Rome more of a Pythagorean City than say, any other city? How is this reflected more in their religious rites and architecture?

I don't see much evidence of this.

I've always presumed Pythagoras had a effect on the Romans, but their elites have a limited at best acceptance. Voluntary vegetarianism is largely unheard of. I presume their number theory is effected, as well as geometry, but never saw much that suggested this early on other than giving me gut feelings.

Lastly, you'd think Pythagoras would of settled in Rome, if the Romans were this enthusiastic about his ideas. This doesn't rule out the Romans were influenced by him, or even had contact with his disciples, but seriously.... why wouldn't Pythagoras just move to Rome, if he was having this sort of effect?

Now, looking to later eras (you push your assumptions well past Cicero) the Romans were willing to adjust their calendars and size and function of their military units as they saw fit, no evidence of a larger, progressive theme here. The actual number of Neo-Pythagorean philosophers were few, we only have evidence they had one temple/maouselum, and their philosophers from the Principate on don't mention any of this. Vegetius seems remarkably unaware of this system as an ideal for his military reforms.

You haven't proved anything. However, unlike a few other theories presented to this site, you did indeed research, and appear to of stumbled upon a interesting hypothetical idea that may suggest the origins of Veterancy and the Strategic Reserve may (and it's currently just a may) of had its origins in the Pythagorean system.

If you tackle this a little bit more in depth, isolate your era a bit more, you may produce a attractive theory. It's just not quite there yet. I do admire your intuition however, and don't think your unworthy of a serious, future revisit if you enlarge this idea with more evidence. The supporting evidence may be out there, I just don't see it anywhere yet.

Could someone please explain why I cannot cut and paste from Word. I have given this program access to my clipboard but still nothing works.

Could someone please explain why I cannot cut and paste from Word. I have given this program access to my clipboard but still nothing works.

working fine for me, do you copy and paste via mouse or keyboard?

Ctrl C copies

CTRL V pastes

In order to copy, you have to have all the text highlighted first. Then click in the messaging area here, and do the CTRL V thing. It should all pop up.

If your just doing a long post, don't worry about spelling mistakes, just post what is on your mind.