UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caesar novus

Obligatory Bowie Retrospective

Am I the only one hearing a still growing retrospective about David Bowie r.i.p.? Older folks say he gave them permission to cultivate their "weird" side, which may not have been the best thing in some cases I know. Young ones, like college radio DJ's here are having an orgy of discovery of his least listenable tracks from the 70's. In my case I am comparing live youtube clips of my favorite song of his.

First I must pass along a funny but grouchy critique of the press coverage of his passing from
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/david-bowie-once-praised-hitler-but-he-was-always-changing-his-tune/

I was desperately worried that you hadn’t read or heard enough platitudinous drivel about David Bowie — and therefore felt compelled to weigh in

The chord changes of his verses were often unorthodox and the melody line skittered around them with enormous range — miles away from the root chord, which elsewhere in this staid and conservative medium defines the tune. Then a swirling and unexpected chorus would sweep you off your feet — often a very non-rock-song chorus.

His only song that really grabs me started as a hit in Italy, but sort of flopped in US and UK. Now "Heros" seems to be the most downloaded song, I think due to Brian Eno writing in synthesizer and feedback drone parts that are just delicious.  It just aches for a really long version, but his live performances tend to be sloppy and not have the best keyboardist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Heroes%22_%28David_Bowie_song%29#Inspiration_and_recording sez "Heros": "has been likened to a Wall of Sound production, an undulating juggernaut of guitars, percussion and synthesizers."

Anyway here are my contenders for best live performance of "Heros":

1) Berlin Sept 2002 a couple years before various heart attacks, he gave a really tight musical performance, maybe because the song was inspired by Berlin and one performance was even attributed by German gov't for helping bring down the wall. Unfortunately the best quality youtube clip starts with 1:40 silly talk you will want to skip, and maybe even more before he cranks up the tempo. Then his voice sounds kind of barking, but it is effective. Unfortunately the droney synth feedback stuff is just enough and not highlighted as I would like:

2) Paris 2002 must have been months earlier because he looks way younger. Same musicians, but sloppy and show-offy to some degree. Vocals and gestures not in the groove yet:

3) UK? Oct 1977 Top Of The Pops showed (in the middle third) that David can sing, with conventional professional techniques that he supposedly lacks! Otherwise a lackluster performance like one I saw in person a little later:

Edited by caesar novus
  • Like 1

According to popular wisdom, I developed my weird side without any inspiration or assistance from David Bowie ( :D ). Truth is, I never really got into anything he did. His work was on the fringes of my experience rather than something closer to my heart such as the rash of increidble rock guitarists that blossomed in the eighties and nineties. At school back in my my much misguided youth there was only one kid who actually liked Bowies music - and yes, we thought he was a bit weird. That said, I have no choice but to admit Bowie had talent.