UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gordopolis

Searching for the Battle of Adrianople

I spent a few weeks earlier in the year fulfilling a long-held ambition: I traveled to ancient Thracia in search of the Battle of Adrianople - a pivotal clash that had far-reaching consequences for both the Eastern and Western Empires. Tens of thousands of legionaries fell to Fritigern's Gothic horde somewhere near the city that gave its name to the battle. Yet to this day, nobody has successfully located the site of the battle. 

I'd love to say I solved the riddle... but it confounded me too, though I had great fun exploring and putting shape to the landscape I've read so much about. Here's all my pics, historical facts and theories:

http://www.gordondoherty.co.uk/writeblog/thebattleofadrianople

• Like 1

Interesting piece.  As you point out, the identification of the battlefield is always going to founder on the facts that we are reliant on Ammianus for information - which is not really detailed enough for a specific answer - and that over the last 1600+ years even minor changes in the local topography, such as the location of a stream, can alter our perceptions as to whether a location is a candidate or not.

So, when are you going back with a powerful metal detector? :naughty:

PS  Nice to be referenced!!

Edited by sonic

Ah, Mr. Hughes A.K.A. Sonic - delighted to meet you!

A very big thanks for your excellent studies of the period. Valens and Adrianople certainly became a lot more colourful and 'real' in my imagination thanks to your work. As I mentioned in the article, your theory of the Goths hitting the Roman right made a lot of sense to me when I read it, and my visit to the sites of Demirhanli and Muratcali only strengthened my convictions.

Would love to go back there, but the Syrian crisis really hit home around those parts just after we left (was really saddened to return home and see the pics on the news of the refugees streaming along the Edirne roads we had traveled - somewhat poignant as I was in the middle of writing about the wandering, homeless Gothic horde).

Can you imagine what even a basic sweep with a detector might uncover? I reckon getting it on the plane to go over there might be just as big a challenge as actually getting a permit to do a sweep tho!

Hi G.  Right back at you!

Thanks for the support concerning Adrianople.  When I read the account in Ammianus - on which all modern interpretations are based - they seemed a little odd in some respects.  I would hope that my own take at least makes some sense!

At some point when my son is older I need to go on some long journeys:  I have a lot of time to make up!