UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Terror in the 2000's vs 1970's vs ?

Engineers & terror?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Does the article linking terrorism with engineering students suggest to you: (can choose multiple)

• It may get worse with the proposed reduction of humanities requirements for engineering accreditation
    • Engineers more noticable in terror incidents because of their how-to training
    • Engineers more noticable in terror incidents because of their can-do predisposition
    • Humanities students just as dangerous, as the 1970s showed in Euro left wing terrorism
    • The western triumphalism of engineering from Romans to today especially irks non-western engineers
    • Engineers like rule bound systems and expect people to also conform
    • Engineering education should diversify to human needs like urban planners

The Chronicle of Higher Education gave food for thought in an article "Does Engineering Education Breed Terrorists?" http://chronicle.com/article/Does-Engineering-Education/235800 along with historical perspective about earlier terror periods with different flavors (esp in comments section). I include a poll above to support or not some of their themes.

Edited by caesar novus

After reading the article,  I thought about the engineers in my extended family.  and I will have to think more.    We have as many nurses and teachers as engineers,  so my family at least balances the problem....(sarcasm  - where is smiley - emoji or what every)  I did post this on FB to see if the engineers would comment.