UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Interview with Jonathan Harris on The Lost World of Byzantium

Interview by Ian Hughes

Ian Hughes for UNRV: Today we have the distinct pleasure to interview noted author and historian Professor Jonathan Harris about his latest book The Lost World of Byzantium.

UNRV: The first question to ask concerns your research interests. On the Royal Holloway website it states that these lie in “Byzantine History 900-1460; relations between Byzantium and the west, especially during the Crusades and the Italian Renaissance; the Greek diaspora after 1453”. What made you focus on the Byzantine Empire rather than on the Crusades which appear to have remained far more popular amongst Western historians?

...continue to the Interview with Jonathan Harris on The Lost World of Byzantium

I've got to admit that I'm looking forward to reading the translation of the 'Sylloge Tacticorum'.  Sadly, I forgot to ask when it was due for publishing!

Edit:  Just checked the Ashgate site:  2017.

Edited by sonic
  • Like 1

I had the pleasure of getting my hands on a review copy of Harris' book - which I highly recommend.  To me this will make an excellent entree into the fascinating Byzantine Empire.  Thanks for the interview UNRV!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire