UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cantabrian Wars

Hi, I'm a new user and this is my first post. As I live in Asturias, Spain I am trying to research info regarding the Roman conquest of northern Spain circa 29-19BC - the Cantabrian-Asturian wars. Bizarrely, there are no books in English on this theatre of conflict - indeed, there appears only one English work on the Roman-Hispanic conflict in general ( which gets very 'mixed' reviews ).

I would be very grateful for any info, tips, directions and/or links that might help me in studying this arena.

Many thanks!

If you can get hold of the Cambridge Ancient History (2d edition) Vol X pg 164-165; there E Gruen laments that "Confusion in the sources prevents a confident reconstruction of events, geography or chronology." and cites the sources (Florus II.33.48-50, Orosius VI.21.3-5) and "scholarly discussions" in a footnote. One of the discussions noted (which is in English) is R. Syme "The Spanish War of Augustus", American Journal of Philology 55 (1934) 293-317.

Edited by Pompieus
  • Like 1