UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How a toxic debate over the first Americans hobbled science for decades

...very interesting article!

....the Clovis first model has collapsed. Based on dozens of new studies, we now know that pre-Clovis people slaughtered mastodons in Washington State, dined on desert parsley in Oregon, made all-purpose stone tools that were the Ice Age version of X-acto blades in Texas, and slept in sprawling, hide-covered homes in Chile—all between 13,800 and 15,500 years ago, possibly earlier. And in January, a Université de Montréal PhD candidate, Lauriane Bourgeon, and her colleagues published a new study on Bluefish Caves bones in the journal PLOS One, confirming that humans had butchered horses and other animals there 24,000 years ago. “It was a huge surprise,” says Bourgeon...

...via Haika Magazine

• Like 1

Good article.  Proves beyond doubt that archaeologists (and possibly historians?) can be blinded by their own assumptions and so discount information they don't think can possibly be correct.  A warning to all!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a collector of Native American artifacts, this is hardly surprising.  Evidence for Pre-Clovis cultures has been building for decades now.  Of course, that shifts the question to:  Beringia or the Atlantic?  or both?

15 hours ago, indianasmith said:

As a collector of Native American artifacts, this is hardly surprising.  Evidence for Pre-Clovis cultures has been building for decades now.  Of course, that shifts the question to:  Beringia or the Atlantic?  or both?

I would assume both, didnt they find very old settlements (like 15.000 to 20.000 years old) in Chile? There would be no way that those settlers would have arrived via Beringia this early

I believe that is correct - I know some VERY old stone points have been found in Chile.

A friend of mine found some bone tools in the Texas City ship channel in the 1990's that one archeologist believes to be over 20,000 years old!