UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black_Francis

Emperor/saint Constantine.

Charlemagne? I think they respect him more than the west respects Charlemagne, Charlemagne isn't on any icons.

I think Constantine was simply a man who saw the tides of history and decided to act upon them. Much like Caesar had done before him.

The vibrancy of classical paganism had been in decline for some time, due to the decline of classical society in general. It was only a question of which of the colorful Oriental faiths would capture the hearts and minds of the citizenry.

Possibly true, however, I wouldn't overlook the physical evidence of Constantine's actions and beliefs - consider the imagery on the Arch of Constantine for example - lots of trad. pagan images robbed from elsewhere, and a couple of references to 'Lord' and whatnot, which could be taken to reflect Christian tendancies, but if they did then it's certainly a cunning way to do it without annoying or alienating the pagan nobility who were still very much in the ascendant at the time.

And on Helena, I can't say how much she is mentioned in contemporary histories, but she is certainly well thought of later on - attributed with finding the true cross for example, by Socrates Scholasticus later echoed by Theoderot... (Although Eusebius doesn't agree, untangle that one for yourselves!)

It seems eminently possible to me that Constantine's tenuous Christian leanings were suitable for the later Church to exaggerate, thus giving them an earlier authority and also legitimising the later Christian emperors? Since then, the rumour of Constantine as the founder of the Catholic church has become entrenched, rather than strictly true?

It seems eminently possible to me that Constantine's tenuous Christian leanings were suitable for the later Church to exaggerate, thus giving them an earlier authority and also legitimising the later Christian emperors?

The idea of bending truth, adopting people and events to meet their own agenda, etc. is absolutely in line with most of early church history. No major surprises there.

Since then, the rumour of Constantine as the founder of the Catholic church has become entrenched, rather than strictly true?

Constantine was a powerful man and iconic figure. There's no question that he helped pave the way for Christian dominance, and the purging of Pagan institutions, but the question has always been whether Constantine only did so completely for political gain, and what exactly he was personally involved in, vs. simply allowing to happen. The Church spreading the idea of the iconic Constantine's 'Catholocism' certainly helped it gain popularity with the masses, but its one of those endless debates among scholars that, much like the church, largely comes down to a matter of faith.

Constantine was a powerful man and iconic figure. There's no question that he helped pave the way for ... the purging of Pagan institutions

No question? Do you not think so? I would be interested to hear what evidence you base this conclusion on.

Personally, I understood Constantine to be sympathetic to Christianity, as to many of the numerous other religious forms available at the time, I wouldn't have thought it would occur to him that pagan institutions needed purging. But I stand ready to be corrected.

Constantine was a powerful man and iconic figure. There's no question that he helped pave the way for ... the purging of Pagan institutions

No question? Do you not think so? I would be interested to hear what evidence you base this conclusion on.

Personally, I understood Constantine to be sympathetic to Christianity, as to many of the numerous other religious forms available at the time, I wouldn't have thought it would occur to him that pagan institutions needed purging. But I stand ready to be corrected.

He paved the way for the purge by stopping imperial funding of pagan institutions, confiscating temple treasures and diverting such things to the new Christian churches. I agree that he didn't personally 'purge' Paganism but that these types of actions set a precedent of anti-pagan policy in which the ante would eventually be upped. Had Constantine maintained true support of religious tolerance and the state continued to protect pagan tradition, perhaps the purging of Theodosius, etc. may have been blunted. That part is, of course, impossible to answer, and is simply my impression.