UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Inter Cohort Legionary Shields

I read recently (and I cant remember where) that legionary cohorts within the same legion had different coloured shields.

Is this true?

I thought all the units in a legion had the same shield design and colour shield.

There are appointed standarts for colours, sizes and shapes of all armour within each legion. A case when a shield had other colour was punished.

I think this fact could have a place in early Rome when Romans fought in free formation. As soon as array was formed the standarts were brought in Roman army.

There is no real evidence for shields to be uniform throughout an entire legion. However, it is FAIRLY accepted that different cohorts MAY have had colours and shield designs unique to them for identification purposes. During the 2nd Battle of Cremona/Bedriacum, Tacitus tells of two legionaries who used enemy shields to disguise themselves and successfully infiltrate the opposing lines, after which they disabled enemy artillery. If this was so, then certainly different legions would have different shields. However, the shields used by the two men have simply had enemy unit names painted on them.

Colours of tunics, shields, even focale (neck scarfs) is a much debated issue which never really reaches a consensus. Len Morgan has written a short article on the subject here: http://www.romanarmy.net/articles.htm

Bear in mind that at this point only a time traveller would know for sure how a legion looked. Pretty much every opinion on the subject is hypothesis based on archaeological evidence to a great degree, and the result of 'archaeo-detective' work. It is not written in stone and there is a lot of supposition and educated guesswork. Also bear in mind that the ancient military was likely a very different animal to the modern military, and uniformity of dress and drill is thought to have not been too much of a concern, although standards were expected of the men in these areas; shield size being of importance as it was used to also protect your comrades, and a punishable offence if transgressed (execution in one known instance). The picture of a silent army stood in disciplined quiet formation waiting for the attack has been questioned by particularly Ross Cowan, who speculates it was quite the opposite, with the men acting more like a gang of thugs, threatening cornicens and officers for the order to attack, and centurions cajoling the enemy offering single combat :angry:

There has been a lot of debate on the subject at RAT ( RAT ), but the subject is often avoided due to the potentially inflammatory nature of the subject :D

Cheers,

Jim.

There is no real evidence for shields to be uniform throughout an entire legion. However, it is FAIRLY accepted that different cohorts MAY have had colours and shield designs unique to them for identification purposes.

Generally I take similar informations at the ancient authors particularly Polibius and Livius. They were very informative with respect to an armour and legion's structure.

I know how archaeological founds look and there are no any chances to determine natural colour of some thing. Alas...

I take similar informations at the ancient authors particularly Polibius and Livius.

Also bear in mind Vegetius who, although often regarded with disdain, may be a more accurate source than normally believed. The Roman Army Group newsgroup (RAG) recently had a brainstorming session as to his accuracy of how many miles a legion could march in a day, which is usually held to be way further than feasible. However, after a 'Eureka' moment one of the guys worked out the amount of paces and distance possible taking into account the length of a Roman summer day (the hours split between dawn and dusk, and not using a modern clock) and Vegetius was bang on the mark.

Cheers,

Jim.

Thank you both for your comments and thank you Jimbow for the superb links.

Just what I was after! I cant believe I hadnt seen that article at romanarmy.net earlier!