UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Peter5673

UNRV Site Ownership Change

Hello Everyone

As many of you will probably have read by now, either on the the Forum or through the newsletter, ownership and running of the site has now passed to me.

Just to introduce myself, my name is Peter Kay (for those of you aware of an English comedian with the same name...it's not him. Sorry to disappoint). I work as a website manager for a company and have a big interest in history, particularly the ancient Roman period.

My aim is to build upon the hard work done by Viggen over the last 14 years and to build UNRV into an even bigger resource and online community.

As you might have noticed, we now have a new home page (you may need to clear your browsing history and then refresh the page if it's not displaying properly). It's not 100% the final version, as things like the top menu navigation will change, and the "Gladiators" box will change to "Entertainment" in the future, but a large amount of my time is going towards getting 14 years' worth of content into the new format and into categories, so more will go on the home page eventually, but at least the new home page design is up and online.

I know the Forum is at the heart of the site, and the last thing i want to do is create a website which has lots of pages but no interaction, so i'm hoping the Forum can be expanded and developed to get more conversations flowing.

If anyone has any questions, ideas for new content, or simply to say hi, please either post on the forum or if it's something you'd like to discuss privately please send an e-mail to admin@unrv.com

It does feel like quite a challenge taking on a site with such a large amount of content and so many visitors, so please bear with me during this transition period whilst I get to grips with the site. If you can read this then at least i've worked out how to successfully write a post for the Forum!

Finally, unlike many transfers of power in Ancient Rome, this one was peaceful and Viggen is thankfully still with us... unless he causes trouble and the Praetorian Guards need to be called :) I'm sure you'll all agree he did a wonderful job over the last 14 years building the site into what it is today and hopefully I, with your help, can take it on to the next level.

Peter

• Like 1

Hello Peter,

thanks for taking over UNRV, i stay around and help whenever there is help needed!

Front page looking nice!

cheers

viggen

• Like 1

It's been a terribly long time since I've visited here, posted in the forum or written any content... and I'm obviously a year behind this particular topic.

When Christian (Viggen), Jon (Moonlapse) and I started this UNRV project over 15 years ago, none of us ever imagined it would be anything more than our own little personal corner of the internet. I can't speak for my two old partners but I know the hundreds (probably thousands really) of hours spent writing the original content is still a particularly proud lifetime achievement for me personally.

While it seems that our good old days of rapid fire forum post activity have probably been beaten down by the preferred social media platforms, it's fun to scroll through the endless depth of conversation, history and general banter that still populates this massive forum (and I do still see a few old familiar faces with an occasional post).

I'm thrilled to see my writing still has a public home after all these years and that it must play some small part in helping to advance general knowledge of Roman history. (though I sure wish I had had an editor back then... I still cringe a bit on certain articles)

Peter, for what it's worth, and quite belatedly, I wish you the very best of luck with UNRV! 

- Chris Heaton

• Thanks 1