UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ostia

altyfc

Has anyone here been to Ostia, the old port of Rome?

I went in about 1987 and found it quite interesting. It's inland slightly nowadays. I got the impression it's overlooked by many tourists who just go to Rome, visit the Roman Forum, the Colosseum, etc. and then move on...

Pity, really.

Aaron

• 1 year later...

I have been to Ostia and the great thing about it is......it was not covered by volcanic ash, but simply abandoned. I was there is 1986 and remember the nice mosaics in front of the traders of the day. I was totally caught up in how it must have been to live in Ancient Rome!! I know it was importarnt as a port and the princeps Nero had a huge sestertii with a image of the port on the back of the coin. Ostia is a must see for anyone going to ROme

I got the impression it's overlooked by many tourists who just go to Rome, visit the Roman Forum, the Colosseum, etc. and then move on...

True..people usually skip Ostia antica or ignore its existance. Somehow I think Ostia is even more spectacular and suggestive than the forum, it

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, if you need pictures of Roma I'll be glad to contribute them, it's not a problem for me, I have plenty

Can you post them ? I'm really interested now after seeing this post. Time is a real problem with all of us and I wish I had the time as I want to definitely visit Ostia now and spend a few days there. I hate the tourist buses for this reason alone [ the lack of time they give you to really see a place and study it in detail and try to absorb its atmosphere is so annoying!].

Well, I guess I'll have to wait for now. In the meantime, would appreciate if you could post just a few pictures.