UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gordopolis

Writing Historical Fiction set in Late Antiquity

That was a very interesting and informative interview. Thank you.

I, too, enjoy the writing of Ammianus Marcellinus. It is his writing that inspires me to learn more about the rather dreadful history of late Roman Empire. 

I wish you continued success with your work.

These are two of Ammianus' many quotes that haunt me:

Box XIX: The siege of Amida, a disaster to the Romans.

And presently all the Persian forces in dense array attacked the city with far greater fury than before. We were perplexed and uncertain where first to offer resistance, whether to those who stood above us or to the throng mounting on scaling-ladders and already laying hold of the very battlements; so the work was divided among us and five of the lighter ballistae were moved and placed over against the tower, rapidly pouring forth wooden shafts, which sometimes pierced even two men at a time. Some of the enemy fell, severely wounded; others, through  fear of the clanging engines, leaped off headlong and were dashed to pieces.

Book XVI: War with the Alamanni: 

But the Alamanni, who enter eagerly into wars, made all the greater effort, as if to destroy utterly everything in their way by a kind of fit of rage. Yet darts and javelins did not cease to fly, with showers of iron-tipped arrows, although at close quarters also blade clashed on blade and breastplates were cleft with the sword; the wounded too, before all their blood was shed, rose up to some more conspicuous deed of daring.  For in a way the combatants were evenly matched; the Alamanni were stronger and taller, our soldiers disciplined by long practice; they were savage and uncontrollable, our men quiet and wary, these relying on their courage, while the Germans presumed upon their huge size. Yet frequently the Roman,  driven from his post by the weight of armed men, rose up again; and the savage, with his legs giving way from fatigue, would drop on his bended left knee and even thus attack his foe, a proof of extreme resolution

Gladiator.gif.6f23459d1e50867923c82adb179ec16b.gif

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire