UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
segant

I need Gladiator Names for game Database

I'm electrical&electronics engineer who dedicated his life to simulations. I'm currenlty making a game about Gladiators and lack much informations about them.

I could found some names here but i need more at least 500 names.

My game playstore link is here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SimulationisEvolution.Arena

I'm programming and draw all things except animations and sounds.

Please help me to add more names. I need your help. These are gladiator names that i could found in movies ,series or internet.

I need lots of names and will appreciate if you can help.

Edited by segant

I don't expect 500 names at once. But if you could send 3-4 names  even it is in database i can check and add it. I just need help from educated or wonderer people like you.

Some gladiators received fanciful stage names, others effeminate ones, for theatrical reasons rather than performance. So matching #Flower' against Panther' was probably not unknown.

Please remember however that your game may well be second rate if you go down the 'Hollywood' route and simply create a fantasy deathmatch arena. I've played games like that before - they're awful.  Gladiators became professional fighters with rules, referees, rest periods, and local variations. One on one fights were standard in fixed classes. Fights were until one contestant could not continue and asked for mercy (or died). There were fights to the death (sine missione), but these were banned by Augustus although they returned later for extra drama. Equipment was strictly defined within classes. Note that many fighters had padded left legs or right arms. Not for defence, as you might imagine, but to prevent injuries against shields.

Some fight styles had fixed areas a fighter could not leave. Other men were sometimes chained to each other to prevent cowardice (this happened in Britain) with the chains going through a central stone to stop them cooperating. There were wooden platforms defended by one man and attacked by more than one opponent. Criminals were sent into the arena with no protection and one knife bwteen them. The winner had to pass the knife to a fresh criminal contestant and continue.

Thanks for the info but these can be implemented in future patches. I do whole stuff alone. Now i need lots of gladiator names. 

On 3/17/2019 at 2:56 PM, caldrail said:

Some gladiators received fanciful stage names, others effeminate ones, for theatrical reasons rather than performance. So matching #Flower' against Panther' was probably not unknown.

Please remember however that your game may well be second rate if you go down the 'Hollywood' route and simply create a fantasy deathmatch arena. I've played games like that before - they're awful.  Gladiators became professional fighters with rules, referees, rest periods, and local variations. One on one fights were standard in fixed classes. Fights were until one contestant could not continue and asked for mercy (or died). There were fights to the death (sine missione), but these were banned by Augustus although they returned later for extra drama. Equipment was strictly defined within classes. Note that many fighters had padded left legs or right arms. Not for defence, as you might imagine, but to prevent injuries against shields.

Some fight styles had fixed areas a fighter could not leave. Other men were sometimes chained to each other to prevent cowardice (this happened in Britain) with the chains going through a central stone to stop them cooperating. There were wooden platforms defended by one man and attacked by more than one opponent. Criminals were sent into the arena with no protection and one knife bwteen them. The winner had to pass the knife to a fresh criminal contestant and continue.

Edited by segant