UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tertia

ROMAN CALENDAR

Salve, UNRV tribe

I am working on my novel, set in the time of the Gracchi, and would appreciate some clarification re the Roman calendar. I have Scullard's Festivals and Ceremonies of the Late Roman Republic, but would like to confirm my understanding re two areas:

• were there any days, other than dies nefasti, on which the Senate could NOT sit? On Dies Fasti, the comitia tributa, centuriata & concilium plebis could not be convened - what about the Senate?
  • could assemblies be held on nundinae (market days)? I've come across contradictory commentary in this regard.

Many thanks!

Tertia

Lintott ("Constitution of the Roman Republic" pg 75) says that the Senate could meet "on any day - including dies nefaste" but gives no reference.  

William Smith's Classical dictionary says "meetings could be convoked on "any day that was not atri (?)."

Both agree that regular meetings (senatus legitimus) were held every month on the calends, nones and ides, and that extraordinary meetings (senatus indictus) could be held on any other day, except when the comitia were meeting.  However, the Senate was summoned to meet during the assembly meetings that led to the deaths of the Gracchi.

Lintott pg 44 refers to Macrobius (Saturnalia) 1.16.30 which mentions a Lex Hortensia which made market-days fasti but not comitiales.

(?)

Edited by Pompieus
Additional data