UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Smurfs and the Salian Franks

dnewhous

I think the historical analog for Le Roi is the good king Chlodio, and that for Johan it is Merovech.  I thought I saw mentioned a legendary castle and a forest on the wikipedia.  I will check back someday maybe and fill in more.  Maybe try the Johan and Peewit comic books.  

K, the fort is called Dispargum, and what I think is supposed to be a forest is called Thuringia.

This puts a lie to the movie (which takes place before the TV series) being set in the middle ages.  It's more like after the fall of Rome and before the complete breaking of the Pax Romana.  Pardon, that is a misuse of the phrase "Pax Romana."  Before all hell broke loose?

I rewatched the movie, I found the dialog from Peewit "But you sire?" and when I heard that I thought it was the name of the king in French. 

They've updated Britannica enough now to indicate that Merovich is the father of Childeric I who is the father of Clovis I.  That is the beginning of the Merovingian Dynasty.  

Oddly, there's an episode guide to the Smurf's on the wikipedia that lists 9 seasons.  It has been overhauled.  It appears to have more of a narrative flow than the 16 seasons available for free with a subscription to Boomerang on Amazon.  I honestly wish I could compare, especially the early episodes.  The Boomerang episodes appear too short for American broadcast, and are definitely not the originals.  The episode Vanity Fair is not the original first episode.  It is a remake of an episode that originally aired before King Smurf.  The spelling f-a-r-e is odd.  That's a synonym for "fee."  Shouldn't it be fair as in "Scarborough Fair?"  or Vanity Fair the magazine?

By way of comparison, Fraggle Rock costs more to rent and has DVD and Blu-ray collections.

Edited by dnewhous