UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Roman Boxing Gloves Found At Hadrian's Wall

I know this is a video from almost three years ago (2018), but this is the first time I've seen it:

Archaeologists have unearthed two "extremely rare" Roman boxing gloves during an excavation at the site of a fort on Hadrian's Wall.Researchers said they believed the gloves, which can still "sit comfortably on a modern hand", were most likely used for sparring and practice.They were found at the Vindolanda.

Summary: We can never been certain of the exact function of this gloves, but it is amazing that these pieces of ancient leather have been preserved.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Although I have been to Italy and Holland numerous times, I've never been to Britain. (I think the language difference might be a little too difficult for me to handle. LOL)

I guess from the Vindolanda website that the outdoor garden and archaeological site are open, but the indoor museum will be closed till at least next spring due to COVID-19 restrictions.

https://www.vindolanda.com/Listing/Category/bookyourvisit

I would like to visit Vindolanda someday ... maybe the next time I'm in Europe on my way to Italy.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Do go there. You get a sense of the scale of a Roman fort and vicus and the closeness of the local community (though it was actually less compact than some settlements along the wall). As a site it feels a little odd because it's perched on a slope above a river valley and not what you would ordinarily expect. The reconstructions like the gate one has to take with some measure of salt, but there's nonetheless a real sense of something happening there.

• Like 1