UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Pompeii in Regio V New Excavations

This is an article from last year with a video from earlier this year:

Despite this nearly constant collecting, surveying, mapping, and digging, as of 2018, about a third of Pompeii still had never been excavated. At this point, in Regio V, in the northern part of the city, the layers of lapilli, ash, and volcanic mud started to collapse under their own weight, imperiling excavated properties and adjacent streets. To address this, a new excavation project was begun in a previously unexplored part of Pompeii. 

Pompeii Intro Regio V House

Two rooms in a vibrantly painted house were recently discovered by archaeologists in Regio V, a previously unexcavated part of ancient Pompeii.

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/344-1907/features/7714-pompeii-new-investigations

Below is an interesting video of the new finds in Pompeii. Although the video is narrated in Italian, there are English subtitles:

A drone flight over the ancient city and and the new excavations leads us to discover the newly uncovered domus, including: the House with the Garden with its splendid triclinium frescoes and painted portico; the House of Orion with its First Style paintings and the mosaic of Orion, which is the only one of its kind; and in addition the settings of everyday life. It is an extraordinary cross-section of the daily life of the city.

Summary: If the article is correct that almost a third of Pompeii has not been excavated, there are sure to be more interesting finds in the years to come.

guy also known as guy

Edited by guy

I can't wait to see what discoveries are made.  Perhaps areas where looters haven't been. Wouldn't that be thrilling to see new statuary, etc?  I know many people find it all so touristy and such, but I've always been fascinated by Pompeii.