UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Would You Buy This?

hm...you know, I don't know much about how to tell the quality of weapons online so all I can really say is OOO, PRETTEEE.

I have heard great things about www.museumreplicas.com though. They are kind of expensive compared to Ebay, but good quality is worth it IMO. The only thing is, I cannot tell you personally about their stuff because I've never bought any of it.

I don't know if I'd buy them, ebay can be iffy and I'm wouldn't want to ship from overseas, but they are very cool. I'd like to get a replica of a Roman standard, I'll surf around and see if they're available unless someone has a link.

Scroll down to "Swords to Avoid".

Legio XX identity parade

The rest of the site is used as a 'guidebook for Roman re-enactment beginners' by many.

I'd like to get a replica of a Roman standard, I'll surf around and see if they're available unless someone has a link.

Nix Imperial

Nix Imperial 2

Can't vouch for them, but it's a start.

Jim.

Thanks. That is a useful page (and I think I see one of the swords on there :( )

There's also Soul of the Warrior, which has a really good selection: Soul of the Warrior

My favourite has to be Len Morgan, who has been doing the do for as long as anyone. A really nice guy, and his stuff is top notch and very very well researched (a favourite of re-enactors): Fabrica

I spoke to him last week and he's up to his eyes in work right now, but he has a load of gear lying around already. I have a scutum, Pompeii gladius, and cingulum, by him, which are all sturdy and made of authentic materials (brass and gilding metal - yes, the Romans used brass, bronze was different then to what it is now). For what you get the prices are very reasonable, especially as the dollar is gaining on the pound now.

The thing about the gladii originally posted is that they are not, or at best loosely, based on genuine artefacts. You also have to beware their reliability, as they could fall apart at the first bash. If it's looks you're after then they're not bad, but they will likely be unreliable, and the re-enactment community does not like them at all. 2 rings on the scabbard for the baldric to loop into is not good either, as it will likely flop around too much when walking.

My original Pompeii is a Deepeeka, but when I look at and hold Len's it's a world of difference ;) The elaborately engraved blades on the Ebay swords must have been a real pain to clean after a battle :(

Cheers,

Jim.

Beware Museum Replicas Javelins. They are badly constructed. Their Gladii are good quality showpieces. Their red tunics are too red. Their shields are completely the wrong size. Would you like me to go on!!!

How do I know all this, we made the mistake of ordering all of the above and it was all returned at a later date.

But as for Len Morgan, his goods are well researched and spot on historically and authentically. I would recommend him to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done a little shopping around trying to get a gladius as close to "authentic" as possible. In almost all the historical reproductions and actual swords dug up that i have seen, i haven't seen any with fullers (the grooves you see running down the blade) and mostswords didn't have metal pommels and guards on them. if you are looking for something close to real check out museum replicas and the other sites that are listed in this thread. the best stuff is usually the stuff that is hand forged. most of that mass production stuff is either cast or mass removed (sheet of metal cut and ground down). there is a metal forge in newfoundland that will custome make a gladius for you, and it is a decent reproduction, and is battle-ready. good luck finding one though!

• 2 weeks later...

they look like a fair quality but i would have to agree with lost warrior about not knowing

• 1 month later...
Guest Matt L

Those 'gladii' are complete garbage- cheap fantasy pieces that are at best very loosely based on an original but with so many issues, they're not worth taking for free :P

The suggestions I've read above are fairly good, although the prices of some are on the high side- if you're looking for an inexpensive fairly authentic Pompeii gladius, you can get that from Find-It-Armory. The sword itself is actually quite good save for the strange spike end nut on the pommel (easily replaced with a brass acorn nut from Home Depot), the scabbard needs work, and the baldric has a buckle, which is completely wrong, but these aren't issues that can't be addressed. For the price, it can't be beat- even if you have to have someone do the 'corrections', it'll cost you less than any other in the end. I wish I'd found this one before I bought and re-worked my Deepeeka gladius.

Matt