UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Bible scroll fragments found in Dead Sea Cave of Horror

Interesting find:

Animated GIF

Parts of books of Nahum and Zechariah, world’s oldest woven basket, 6,000-year-old mummified child, Bar Kochba Revolt coins among stunning finds from daring Judean Desert rescue op.

•  In a stunningly rare discovery, dozens of 2,000-year-old biblical scroll fragments have been excavated from Judean Desert caves during a daring rescue operation. Most of the newly discovered scroll fragments — the first such finds in 60 years — are Greek translations of the books of Zechariah and Nahum from the Book of the Twelve Minor Prophets, and are written in two scribal hands.

21.The-Scrolls-Fragments-before-conservation-in-the-IAA-Lab.-Shai-Halevi-Israel-Antiquities-Authority-640x400.jpg

https://www.timesofisrael.com/bible-scroll-fragments-among-dazzling-artifacts-found-in-dead-sea-cave-of-horror/

Summary: Another ancient finding to examine more closely. I will let the biblical scholars determine its significance. 

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

On 3/16/2021 at 7:10 PM, Crispina said:

The basket is amazing.

Thank you for reading the post. The basket really is an incredible find.

If I understood correctly, the basket is more than 10,500 years old. That would mean, of course, that it predated the founding of the city of Rome (753 BCE) by thousands of years. I would like to know, however, how they came up with that date.

Along with the “new” biblical scroll fragments from the Books of the Minor Prophets, the team excavated a huge 10,500-year-old perfectly preserved woven basket — the oldest complete basket in the world — and a 6,000-year-old mummified skeleton of a child, tucked into its blanket for a final sleep.

31.Chaim-Cohen-and-Naama-Sukenik-of-the-Israel-Antiquities-Authority-holding-the-ancient-basket.-photo-Yaniv-Berman-640x400.jpg

27-6000-years-skeleton.-Photo-Clara-Amit-Israel-Antiquities-Authority-640x400.jpg

The coins from the site date from the Bar Kokhba revolt (AD 132-136). The was during the reign of Hadrian ( AD 117-138), many years after the basket and the skeleton mentioned in the article.

40.Bar-Kochva-Hoard.-Photo-Dafna-Gazit-Israel-Antiquities-Authority-640x400.jpg

Edited by guy

I would like to know, however, how they came up with that date.

I was wondering the same thing. It's hard to fathom.

Animated GIF

Here's are two interesting videos on the finds, describing their historical significance:

Edited by guy