UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Egypt: 'Lost golden city' found

Animated GIF

Another exciting find: a city buried by sand. This site, the "Lost Golden City" is near Luxor, Egypt. It dates back to the reign of Amenhotep III who reigned from 1391-1353 BCE. It is amazing the amount of archaeological material found since the dig began in September 2020, including colored pottery, jewelry, scarab amulets, a bakery with ovens, etc.

Famed Egyptologist Zahi Hawass announced the discovery of the "lost golden city" near Luxor on Thursday.

He said the find was the largest ancient city, known as Aten, ever uncovered in Egypt.

It was unearthed within weeks of the excavation starting in September 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56686448

A wide shot of an ancient city found near Luxor in Egypt

The city is believed to have been founded by Amenhotep III, one of ancient Egypt's most powerful rulers

Map: A map showing where Luxor is in Egypt.

Animated GIF

Summary: It is hard to believe that this city was around more than a thousand years before Cleopatra and Marc Anthony had their relationship.

Edited by guy

Edited by guy

It all so fascinating to me.  Wish I could see how the city really looked at that time. I have trouble visualizing.

Actually, I have been to Egypt and in King Tut's tomb. I was surprised at how small it was. 

Here are some of the best pictures of the dig I have seen, yet:

luxor hawass gettyWorkers carry a fish covered in gold found in Luxor, April 10, 2021. Khaled Desouki/AFP via Getty Images

https://www.yahoo.com/news/photos-show-ancient-egyptian-artifacts-122200604.html

Edited by guy