UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crispina

More historical statues brought to life

Thank you, Crispina.

Although the eye coloring seems possibly too light, they are fabulous pictures. Those "come-to-life" images are absolutely breathless.

Thank, you, again.

Yes, I would like to ask the artist how he/she arrived at eye color. And I imagine there was much more makeup worn by women than shown in the colorization. 

Which makes me wonder, in ancient writings are details like this about people ever written about by their peers?  Not that I have read as much as others here probably have. Seems to me I do remember reading that Julius Caesar had "light gray" eyes. 

Thanks, again, for the video.

Animated GIF

Suetonius, writing (AD 121) more than a century after Caesar's death, gave this description:

45. Caesar is said to have been tall, fair, and well-built, with a rather broad face and keen, dark-brown eyes. His health was sound, apart from sudden comas and a tendency to nightmares which troubled him towards the end of his life; but he twice had epileptic fits while on campaign. He was something of a dandy, always keeping his head carefully trimmed and shaved; and has been accused of having certain other hairy parts of his body depilated with tweezers. His baldness was a disfigurement which his enemies harped upon, much to his exasperation; but he used to comb the thin strands of hair forward from his poll, and of all the honours voted him by the Senate and People, none pleased him so much as the privilege of wearing a laurel wreath on all occasions — he constantly took advantage of it.

Nice article on Caesar's appearance:

https://www.knowledgesnacks.com/articles/was-julius-caesar-handsome/

Here's the image of Caesar many of us have (from the HBO movie "Rome"):

Animated GIF

Edited by guy