UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Leicestershire Roman settlement 'surprised' villa dig team

Despite the COVID-19 lockdowns, it is good to see the archaeological excavations continue:

Roman villa wall

200px-Leicestershire_UK_locator_map_2010.svg.png

Roman settlement in Leicestershire discovered by dig team who ‘had a hunch from looking at Google Earth’

After surveying the site near Scalford in Leicestershire, the archaeologists think they may have found a “substantial” Roman settlement

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/roman-settlement-leicestershire-discovered-dig-team-google-earth-971909

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56857409

Summary: It is nice to see that modern technology has continued to help in the discovery of ancient Roman sites:

Geophysical survey of area

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Modern techniques have come a long way. People used to stumble across remains or search blindly based on local folklore and rumour. I suppose that still happens, such as building sites, including one in my home area where a new town expansion has uncovered Romano-British archaeology no-one knew about. But these days aerial or even orbital mapping has pin-pointed sites from the ancient world and not just Roman.

I also note a fundamental parallel with today. My home town grew from a small hilltop village into the sprawling town it is today due to the influence of infrastructure; the arrival of canals and not long after, railways, eventually followed by road and motorway traffic. Similarly Roman settlements grew from opportunities in trade with the Roman garrisons, resources such as farmland or minerals, or even simply placing new importance on existing native settlements.

Someone on television once stated that we're living in a golden age of archaeology. Perhaps, but it is hard to disagree, despite the intrusion of greed.and self interest you point at elsewhere.

Edited by caldrail