UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Roman invasion of Arabia

Good video review of Rome’s little-known campaign in Arabia:

Hmmm... I wonder if a little drama hasn't been inserted into the video. The reason I suggest that is because Rome often mounted military expeditions for raids, politics, and punitive purposes or even exploration, but strictly speaking an invasion would infer that Rome intended to annex or conquer the objective permanently. Note that Rome was a remarkably reluctant invader in the imperial period. Augustus was probably looking for an easy and profitable acquisition since cash was required for his civic program (that was after all why he chose to exploit the 'temporary' occupation of parts of Germania). It would seem entirely likely then that a permanent invasion was no more likely than military intimidation to force tribute.

Thank you for reading my post.

I imagine that any expedition to Arabia have had more to do with establishing trading posts than it would with creating a permanent colony.

Edited by guy

I note how quickly they abandoned the expedition. A more determined leader hellbent on conquest would perhaps have consolidated in one of the captured towns for a while? That said, it was easier to defend your actions in front of the Senate if you didn't add the territory to the empire - that way, you would appear less ambitious and dangerous. The Senate liked cautious characters.