UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
dnewhous

Real pirates: Queen Teuta

A Greek queen considered the first woman pirate.  IIRC, the original 12 pirate captains were commissioned by her.  That's what they were talking about in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest when they gather all of the pirates to fight the English.  Quote: "The art of piracy is deception."

Edited by dnewhous

Aren't you extrapolating here? Teuta may have been Queen of Illyria, but I see nothing to suggest she was herself a pirate despite her kingdom harbouring such activity (and apparently she claimed it was a normal tradition in her realm impossible to suppress when the Romans got shirty about piratical attacks)

No, all I see is a lot of drama. I still see nothing that says she was a pirate. Teuta may well have profitted from her piratical citizens and ruled over them after her husband died - but where are the sources telling us about her involvement in such 'lawful trading'? She certainly continued her husbands aggression and authorised piracy to support such activity - but I see no evidence of 'Pirate Queen'. Queen of a Piratical People maybe. Let's not get carried away.

In a related thread, I have obtained Living by the Sword

The Pirate Articles of Bartholomew Roberts (circa 1719)

1.   Every man shall have an equal vote in affairs of moment. He shall have an equal title to the fresh provisions or strong liquors at any time seized, and shall use them at pleasure unless a scarcity may make it necessary for the common good that a retrenchment may be voted.

2.   Every man shall be called fairly in turn by the list on board of prizes, because over and above their proper share, they are allowed a shift of clothes. But if they defraud the company to the value of even one dollar in plate, jewels or money, they shall be marooned. If any man steals from another he shall have his nose and ears slit, and be put ashore where he shall be sure to encounter hardships.

3.   None shall game for money either with dice or cards.

4.   The lights and candles should be put out at eight at night, and if any of the crew desire to drink after that hour they shall sit upon the open deck without lights.

5.   Each man shall keep his piece, cutlass and pistols at all times clean and ready for action.

6.   No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man shall be found seducing any of the latter sex and carrying her to sea in disguise he shall suffer death.

7.   He that shall desert the ship or his quarters in time of battle shall be punished by death or marooning.

8.   None shall strike another on board the ship, but every man’s quarrel shall be ended on shore by sword or pistol in this manner. At the word of command from the quartermaster, each man being previously placed back to back, shall turn and fire immediately. If any man does not, the quartermaster shall knock the piece out of his hand. If both miss their aim they shall take to their cutlasses, and he that draws first blood shall be declared the victor.

9.   No man shall talk of breaking up their way of living till each has a share of 1,000. Every man who shall become a cripple or lose a limb in the service shall have 800 pieces

Demski, Eric. Living by the Sword: Knighthood for the Modern Man . Trafford Publishing. Kindle Edition.

of eight from the common stock and for lesser hurts proportionately.

10.   The captain and the quartermaster shall each receive two shares of a prize, the master gunner and boatswain, one and one half shares, all other officers one and one quarter, and private gentlemen of fortune one share each

11.   The musicians shall have rest on the Sabbath Day only by right. On all other days by favor only.

12.   If a member of the crew were to rape a woman he would be put to death or be marooned. Roberts and his men swore to these on a Bible, and went on to become some of the most successful pirates in history (Source: The Pirates Realm.com).

Demski, Eric. Living by the Sword: Knighthood for the Modern Man . Trafford Publishing. Kindle Edition.

So there are supposedly 12 articles of pirate behavior. 

There are also, and this was reminded me by Pirates of the Caribbean, 12 quasi legal syndicates that originate from Queen Teuta.  That is what I learned in church long ago.

Edited by dnewhous

Sorrry, did I understand this correctly? You're saying there were twelve syndicates of pirates surviving from ancient times? Emphatically, no.