UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Vindolanda: naked horseman statue

Another interesting find:

E705890F-BB12-4F61-BAF1-790865FEF872.jpeg.db6a224707ba9d85cefbbdfdeaffc73b.jpeg

Archaeologists are trying to identify a mystery carving of a naked horseman dug up at a Roman fort. 

The sandstone altar of a man holding a spear on either a donkey or a horse was found by two volunteers at Vindolanda, near Hexham, Northumberland.“

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-57636657

Summary: it’s good to see that excavations continued during this pandemic.

Edited by guy

I would very much like to visit this site. I bet the museum contains wonderful items.  One of the sub articles listed mentioned a "furry dog" remains. That was incredible to read and see the photo of the patch of fur.

DC46887A-E823-4833-9B03-390D53D4BD62.gif.1e83abdaae8ef46e028a72c9e03456ee.gif

Nice video on find.

@ Crispina - The museum is small but you're right, it's a fascinating visit. Make sure you visit other sites along the Wall too because there are variations in settlement pattern.

@ Guy - A naked horseman? Not sure I'd want to try that, but notice the helmet. Hardly a traditional legionary item but very reminiscent of a gladiatorial type, suggesting an eques or mounted skirmisher consistent with the spear. But naked? That was something Greek or barbarian, and typically an eques had a modicum of armour. A local variation? Of course this might simply be a funerary memorial to a gladiator so the nakedness would have symbolic meaning rather than a simple rendition of actual; appearance.