UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Cataclysmic flood spurred Nile Valley development

This is the interesting theory that some cataclysmic flood forced the migration to the Nile Valley, helping Egyptian development.

“It is my belief that a catastrophic marine flood occurred across Eurasia that had multiple consequences, one of which was that with a devastated environment survivors migrated to places of safety.”

”I believe the flood, once dated, should provide the evidence of its reality and most likely the reason why survivors migrated to safer regions, such as the Nile Valley.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1469474/egypt-mystery-solved-noah-flood-archaeology-news-north-africa-ancient-history-spt/amp

Edited by guy

Egypt once was considered as the main supplier of wheat grain for the whole Roman empire, now Egypt is the top buyer of wheat from Russia (Turkey is the second in the row). That's how times re-shape the countries 🙂

I think the flood theory is a bit misguided. I have heard of evidence that the western Sahara region once suffered a very large inundation but that would only matter locally, it wouldn't cause mass migrations. More of interest is the history of the Sahara region as a whole. As you might know, it became a desert relatively recently and for a long time it had been a lush semi-tropical rainforest, later a savanah, which rather indicates the writing was on the wall.

The thing is, some academics have gotten to thinking that the Nile used to be sourced in the west of Africa and flowed across the Sahara region before turning north. The satellite imagery confirms potential geology to support this. The case involves an old map showing a Nile River coming from the west, but to my mind, that could just as easily be a distortion in the mapping of such a large and unknown area.

Anyway, my point is that migration toward the Nile Valley had more to do with the dessication of North Africa - climate change - than a specific natural cataclysm.