UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Sex and Sexuality in Ancient Rome

Looks like an interesting read by the author LJ Trafford (for adult readers only):

”Men through the ages have been affected by erectile dysfunction, and the Romans were no different. 

The poet Ovid and the emperor Tiberius were among those who documented their struggles, although they blamed everything from witchcraft to unattractive partners, rather than acknowledging it was a personal condition. 

Fortunately the Romans were creative in the ways it could be treated. Pliny the Elder suggested 'plunging an ass's penis seven times in hot oil' and rubbing it on the affected member“

C1C750A3-3219-4F16-831D-BA0282CB1378.jpeg.aef9721bb69c6f08e35d0181884ec2f5.jpeg

https://granthshala.com/was-ancient-rome-really-a-sexual-free-for-all-from-impotence-cures-made-out-of-vultures-lungs-to-the-wickedest-woman-who-bed-hundreds-of-men-new-book-lays-bare-what-people-really-thought-about-s/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9851709/Was-Ancient-Rome-REALLY-sexual-free-all.html

Edited by guy

We tend to get carried away with image of orgies and unbridled sex. Well, okay, sex was very available from slaves or cheap prostitutes. Yet I can't help noticing instances like Clodius trying to get off with Caesar's wife. Sure, she wasn't exactly rejecting him, but her mother was very moral and strict about relationships. True, Augustus found it necessary to impose laws to offset a lack of traditional marriage, but I wonder if we get carried away with the wall paintings assuming that such portrayals were ordinary. I mean, modern *or* is available widely but how many of choose to actually live in such an erotic lifestyle?