UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Imperialism

Ursus

From Montesquieu and then Thomas Jefferson: "You cannot maintain a republic and empire simultaneously."

I think this quote best summarizes the trajectory of Roman history and the history of other nations that began as republics and then became empires. Imperialism undermines freedom and civic values in the Republic. Look at the example of Rome. So many small Italian farmers ruined by importation of tribute grain from the Empire. Hundreds of thousands of unemployables in Rome under the Empire. Daily blood spectacles just to keep the masses distracted from their miserable social condition. I won't venture to say that Roman imperialism offered nothing in return, but I do contend that it ended republicanism.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Montesquieu and then Thomas Jefferson: "You cannot maintain a republic and empire simultaneously."

I think this quote best summarizes the trajectory of Roman history and the history of other nations that began as republics and then became empires. Imperialism undermines freedom and civic values in the Republic. Look at the example of Rome. So many small Italian farmers ruined by importation of tribute grain from the Empire. Hundreds of thousands of unemployables in Rome under the Empire. Daily blood spectacles just to keep the masses distracted from their miserable social condition. I won't venture to say that Roman imperialism offered nothing in return, but I do contend that it ended republicanism.

Roman Imperialism ended over 100 years of bloody civil war under the republic.

Roman imperialism started long before any of the civil wars. The civil wars were a consequence of imperialism. I think you may be getting Imperialism confused with the Imperial period. While they are derrived from the same word, they have two completely different meanings.

Edited by P.Clodius

Roman imperialism started long before any of the civil wars. The civil wars were a consequence of imperialism. I think you may be getting Imperialism confused with the Imperial period. While they are derrived from the same word, they have two completely different meanings.

You're right. The civil wars were the consequences of an artificial republic that was truly corrupt and hypocritical.