UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar's 'gallic Wars'

Favonius Cornelius

I dunno, but I've just bought a batch of books from eBay. Two concern Caesar's Gaelic adventures (one is his own writings). I'll list the books in a new thread tomorrow.

Caesar was definately a colourful character, and was eager to portray himself in a good light (particularly during the Gaelic wars, he had to flee Rome and join the legions, and was keen to return to Rome in Glory). I would be very suprised if he didn't embelish his conquests.

The thing I expect most to learn is that he exaggerated the number of tribesmen his armies killed. I think they had to slaughter a certain amount to earn a "triumph" (or a similar word, it slips my mind atm). Whilst he almost definately notched up enough kills, I can't help but feel he increased the figure a bit.

An antiquarian bookshop in Melbourne is selling an awsome copy of the Gallic wars, a translation published in the late 19th century, great condition, and one of only 1200 printed. Has really good engravings throughout based on Caesars descriptions - only a paltry $650 AUD.

Who's the translator?

And isn't $650 AUD like $5 US dollars?

...running and ducking...

Taken in whole, can anyone comment on how accurate and factual Caesar's books have turned out to be in conjunction with archaeological evidence and critical thought?

I remember reading a very recent book that Goldsworthy contributed to that indicated that what he believes is the site of the siege of Aleisa [the site controversy is another matter] contains enough evidence to confirm Caesar's account but with significantly fewer fortifications than The Gallic Wars seems to indicate. In other words Caesar didn't lie but stretched the truth.

Most of the Civil Wars seems to have been written by someone besides Caesar, his colleague Hirtius being the chief suspect. The best thing, to me, is that his works are written with a real soldier's eye. Even the later books written by others in his name seem to have been written by eyewitnesses to battle.

And isn't $650 AUD like $5 US dollars?

Yeah...good one Virg.

May have been the case once but fortunately the US dollar, like so much else to do with the country, is pretty lame these days :) - an Aussie dollar is about 76 of your cents.

before I too duck and run - don't know who the translator is - will find out.