UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Princeps

Who's Your Favourite Historian?

I rather enjoyed Suetonius' the Twelve Caesars, even though a lot of people say it's the Roman equivalent of some tabloid newspapers :P

I also enjoyed Tom Holland's Rubicon, I was lucky enough to get a signed copy of his new book 'Persian Fire' when I visited the British museum to the see the Persian Exhibition.

My favourite ancient has to be Ammianus Marcellinus - a great introduction to the later Empire if you've not tried it before.

Modern, I think I have to agree with many other posters on the Peter Brown front, but also mention Mary Beard. I was lucky enough to hear her lecture during my degree, she is an insightful and inspirational speaker and writer - just what the period needs!

My favorite ancient historian would be Livy although some dont consider him a historian he took incomplete information and made one of the most dramatic and well written ancient texts.

Modern historian would be a toss up between TJ Cornell with his amazing book Ancient Rome of which I did a review for on this web site, and also Steven Pressfield for his masterfull job in the Gates of Fire.

Tacitus was the best without a doubt, however Livy's style and sometimes prejudice views of other cultures can provide quiet a comparision with what we know about them today. The Etruscans for example were viewed in a one sided way by him which I found pretty funny.

For now I'll stick to the ancients:

1. Polybius (terse yes, but that man was extremely insightful)

2. Livy (becuase he did his research & for including interesting anecdotes on superstitious happenings of a given year... :lol: )

3. Herodotus (I mean common!)

I am intrigued by the polybius thing, I value him as a hsitorian, especially as a tactician. It is a shame his treatise on tactics was lost but I wouldn't have called him insightful, after all his lack of understanding of the Roman Constitution is incredible considering the years he spent living right at the heart of roman politics...just a thought mind. I have to say I like him a lot...even if he is a little dry!

I rather enjoyed Suetonius' the Twelve Caesars, even though a lot of people say it's the Roman equivalent of some tabloid newspapers ;)

I also enjoyed Tom Holland's Rubicon, I was lucky enough to get a signed copy of his new book 'Persian Fire' when I visited the British museum to the see the Persian Exhibition.

suetonius was a great historian and a rippng good read. He is not tabloid no no no no....he's great flamin' brilliant. Livy on the other hand....yawn yawn yawn all very grand all very worthy but really i would rather stick pins in my eyes! :blink:

[ Livy on the other hand....yawn yawn yawn all very grand all very worthy but really i would rather stick pins in my eyes! :blink:

Having just read Livy's I-X, I have to agree with you. There was so much detail crammed together in a dry manner. Of course, the Penguin translations I read are probably not the best, either.

I'd say Thucydides...or Herodotus. Everyone here seems to be sticking to the Roman-times guys, which makes sense considering this is a site about Rome. Still, the Greek early historians are in my opinion certainly better than Suetonius.

I have to go with Tacitus because he is so vivid.

Ancient: Tacitus and Polybius (with a huge love of Plutarch, but I know he's not so reliable)

Modern: Syme and Scullard

Actually, my favorite modern history is Modern Times by Paul Johnson, but I'm assuming we're talking about modern historians writing about ancient history.

My favorite historian is A.H.M. Jones. Without a doubt. I think his collective works are one of the foundation stones upon which much of our contemporary historical analysis rests.

My favorite from the standpoint of writing style is John Julius Norwich. Although he doesn't add a lot from the standpoint of scholarship, he is a very easy and very enjoyable read. I believe his single greatest legacy is the fact that he makes this information more accessable to a wider audience. He was my introduction to the period and I think its safe to say that he helped me open a door to a bigger world with respect to Roman history.

Edited by DanM

Scullard, Goldsworthy, and our distinguished member Maty. Of the ancients, Tacitus. There are people on this site who may or may not be published historians, but what they write here is more often than not excellent to someone like me. Cato, Nephele, Primus Pilus, Ursus, the list goes on for yards and you get to watch them debate topics as well. Better than wrestling.

Edited by cornelius_sulla