UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aquilifer

Rome & Christianity

First the Romans crucified Christ, then they persecuted Christians, then the official religion of the Empire became Christianity. Why did attitudes change so dramatically? Why did Christianity spread so rapidly despite persecutions? Did the persecution of Christians in fact help it spread? Why has Christianity stayed when so many other religions in Roman times died out? Why did the Church stay even when Rome fell? I'd love to know what you think about Christianity and other religions in Roman times generally.

Thanks! Those articles look really interesting; I've only read the first one but I'll have a look at the others now.

[mod note: I thought this topic made more sense in the temple forum, so I moved it]

PP did a bang-up job with the topic.

Really, the "persecutions" are a tad bit overblown, as was martyrdom. Christianity won simply because it appealed to a large mass of people who were disaffected by a declining Roman society.

I sometimes look at the rapidly growing New Age cults who appeal mostly to people who can't quite fit in with the modern mainstream West for whatever reason, and I can't help but wonder where they will be in 200 years, especially if the West starts to decline.

I just read this article, and say it was well done. I learnt a lot about history of Christianity that I did not realize beforehand.

It is interesting how it started as a cult and is now a major religion.

I do wonder what will happen in 200 years from now. It does appear more and more people are turning away from christianity and looking for other options.

PP,

Excellent articles covering the bases very nicely.

I am a Christian and would add that there is a segment of (usually Protestant) Christianity which believes that the identification under Constantine of Christianity as a religione licita and it's subsequent adoption by the government to the eventual exclusion of others effectively emasculated it; making it a department of state and conversion therefore more a matter of political and social ambition than an expression of actual metanoia.

I'll admit to being inclined to this view though I am by no means convinced.

Did the persecution of Christians in fact help it spread?

13582[/snapback]

Here are my two cents on this issue. Anyone ever see the film "Cool hand Luke"?

Rermember the prison fight between Luke and The character played by George Kennedy?

Well Luke didn't stand a chance. He kept getting beat up by George Kennedy, but he just kept getting in his face. Eventually Kennedy, who deep down was a good guy, got tired of beating him, and he had enough--he defaulted the fight to Luke and subdued himself to Luke.

I draw an analogy to this and the Christian Martyrs who were willing to proclaim their faith even though they were threatened with death. They were given opportunities to save their lives by renouncing or denying their faith, but they refused to do so. I'm sure that the Romans felt bad about killing the innocent Christians. They were impressed by their resolve, and most the Romans deep down had a strong sense of ethics. So just like Kennedy, they defaulted and eventually submitted to Christianity.

I'm not advocating the stubborness of the Martyrs. I doubt that most modern day Christians would be willing to die for their faith, but it does show the power of stubborn resolve.

Did the persecution of Christians in fact help it spread?

13582[/snapback]

They were impressed by their resolve, and most the Romans deep down had a strong sense of ethics. So just like Kennedy, they defaulted and eventually submitted to Christianity.

I'm not advocating the stubborness of the Martyrs. I doubt that most modern day Christians would be willing to die for their faith, but it does show the power of stubborn resolve.

15159[/snapback]

Indeed, even the rumors and stories of this bravery and conviction of spirit had to play a part in Christianity's ultimate spread, whether people witnessed anything or not.