UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Top 10 Movies Of All Time

Hey there, it's one of my wonderful opinion polls! Here is what you got to do.

State your top 10 movies that you think are the best of all time it doesn't matter if their rated NC-17 or G or whatever ratings are in Europe, and tell what actors in the movie you enjoyed most.

These in my opinion are the top 10 moives of all time with my discription and actors:

1. American Beauty (Some good actors don't remmeber their names)-acurate discription of 1990's American nuclear family life style.

2. Galtiator (Russel Crowe)-Probably one of the best movies I have ever seen because it touched my heart and made me cry at the end :P though it might not be too historically acurate I enjoyed it never the less

3. Captain Correli's Mandolin (Penelope Cruz and Nicolas Cage)-A wonderful love story set in World War 2 on the island of Cephallonia in Greece.

4. Vanilla Sky-(Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz)-Another love story that has a very odd plot, with alot of forshadowing and deeper meaning. It has to deal with a giant Lucid dream and a alternative reality.

5. Totoro-(Animated cartoon)-A Jappanese cartoon that though rather childish was on of Hydo Miazaki's best he also wrote Spirited away which you might have heard of.

6. Mermaids-(Winnona Ryder)-About a girl growing up and facing her sexually premicious mother.

7. Signs-(Mel Gibson)-Classic Alien flick it gave me a jump now and then

8. Girl Interupted-(Winnona Ryder) THe story of Susana Kasen as she lives in a mental hospital for a year.

9. The Lion King-(animated cartoon)-One of disney's best! Was a revolution in the 1990s of how cartoon movies were done

10. House of Flying Dagger-(Forgien Film)-Like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, with alot of martial arts and a love story

Well thats my top 10!

If you wish to state your idea of the worst movies of all time go ahead.

The top 10 worst movies of all time for me are

1.The Village

2. All the Maxtrix's

3. Sin City

4. Anything to do with the X-Files.

5. Passion of the Christ

6. Druids

7. The Princess bride (That was so fake)

8. Panokee'O. (I feel bad for that poor little wooden puppet) :P

9. The Ten Commandments (The one with Carlton Hesten)

10. Hero (Jet Li)

Also since were at it......I will add one more opinion post:

Favorite actors and actresses :D oviosuly you know half my favorites:

1. Penelope Cruz

2. Winonna Ryder

3. Julia Robets

4. Angelina Jolie

5. Jonnny Depp

6. Juan Phoneix

7. Meg Ryan

8. Bradd Pit

9. Clive Owen

10. Tom Cruise

I dont really have a top ten,i generally like whats flavour of the month,but i do have some movies i detest.Firstly anything at all mister M.Gibson stars in or even worse directs,.and secondly that total pile of crap King arthur, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.What about the new Xmen film?anyone seen it,its shockingly bad IMHP.

I like Gary Oldham and Daniel day lewis actor wise,this may be a bit contreversial but i really dont like Al Pacino,i think he over acts,allways shouting.

longbow

I like Gladiator, Passion of the Christ, Spartacus, although there are others, I am not much of a film buff but I do enjoy watching historical programmes mostly.

My movie list changes all the time, making it impossible for me to stick to a top 10 list.. However, I will list some favorites by genre in no particular order.

Science Fiction/Fantasy

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Star Wars Trilogy (Episode IV - VI)

Westerns

Open Range (triumphant return of the western to the big screen)

Good the Bad and the Ugly (hey its a classic and its Clint)

War

Saving Private Ryan (the opening and closing scenes are powerful enough to carry a sometimes weak story)

Braveheart (This movie was done before Gibson went crazy making one bad epic after another)

Drama

Schindler's List (I'm not a big fan of 'holocaust' reminders, but this film is incredible, largely thanks to Neeson and Kingsley's performances)

Dances with Wolves (yes its been on TV a million times over the years, but I can still watch this beautifully done epic)

Cold Mountain (when my wife wanted to see this I thought, 'Great an extra long chick flick', but thats really not the case. Yes its a love story, but there was alot more in it)

Action/Adventure

Pirates of the Caribbean (just plain swashbuckling fun... I hate Johnny Depp but he is brilliant)

Indiana Jones (another pure fun movie with Harrison Ford, I pretty much like all of his movies)

Horror/thriller/what have you

Exorcist (the scariest movie ever... and that's coming from an atheist =P)

Others (a bit slow, but I thought the concept was unique)

Sixth Sense (put that M. Night dude on the movie making map so to speak)

This is excellent list of moves. Most of them I like too. I could add only:

Master and Commander with Rassel Crow

argh, war movie list without "Das Boot" is not complete, other then comedy is missing (Along came Polly is my favourite) it is a pretty nice list hehe

regards

viggen

Unforgiven- Clint Eastwood

Zaitochi- The Blind Swordsman

No Escape

Troy

Super Troopers

5th Element

The Beast (the one about the soviet tank crew lost in Afganistan, not the Octopus one)

Matrix Reloaded

Star Gate

The Transporter

And, we musn't forget Red Dawn.... WOLVERINES!

I just remember a couple more good ones:

Water World-Kevin Costner and Starship troopers........remember the soliders go to the alien plannet and slaughter all the bugs! Classic Sci-Fi war movie.

Zeke

Drama - Godfather I.

Historical - Spartacus

Fantasy - Conan the Barbarian

Sci-Fi - The Original Star Wars Trilogy

Shakespeare on Film: Henry V with Kenneth Branagh, or Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando

War: The Longest Day

Comedy: Young Frankenstein or Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Foreign Film: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Best Action movie: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Best B Movie: Godzilla meets Bambi

In no particular order...

Best Cult film

Pulp Fiction (I can't belive no one mentioned this)

Western

The Magnificent Seven

Action

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Comedy

Either Monty Pythons "Search for the Holy Grail" or "The meaning of Life"

War

Saving Private Ryan

Horror

Silence of the Lambs

Fantasy

LOTR Return of the King

Sci-Fi

Return of the Jedi

Historical

Gladiator

Misc

Back to the Future

Super Troopers

If you are talking about the one with the highway patrol men then that is one of/the worst movie(s) I have ever rented out.

My highly personalized, and subject to change with little notice, top ten films that I stop whatever I am doing and watch:

Waterloo - with Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer. I am a sucker for Napoleonics and with tens of thousands of extras, one of the best cavalry scenes filmed and sound to knock your socks off, what's not to love.

The Red Tent - Peter Finch, Sean Connery, Claudia Cardinale Hardy Krüger, Eduard Martsevich in a joint Italian/Russian film. It's lightly based on events of an Artic expedition via airship in 1928 which crashed on the ice and the guilt felt by the main character General Nobile. It has some spectacular scenery and has a great exploration of leadership and the price it extracts if the leader either fails to be, or is too, human.

The Lion in Winter - Kate Hepburn and Peter O'Toole star with Anthony Hopkins, John Castle, Nigel Terry and Timothy Dalton co-starring. With a line-up like that they could just be reading phonebooks and it'd be great. Now add the best dialouge ever written for a movie, 3 oscars, 11 other major awards and voila: you get a feel for how good this movie is.

Unforgiven - The best western ever made and Clint at his best (and baddest) as we watch, quite literally, the effects of sins and anger not checked and never forgiven.

Bladerunner - This film just immerses and mesmorizes me everytime I see it. It's a Ridley Scott masterpiece (which is why Kingdom of Heaven disappointed me, it never drew me in like Bladerunner). You really do walk away thinkinking you've just been in another world. Sidenote: The movie Soldier with Kurt Russell had an homage to Bladerunner. The main characters battle record included battles mentioned by the replicant Roy, and in the junk piles...one of them has the flying car.

A Bridge Too Far - I go by my father's reaction to this movie. He was in Market-Garden with the 101st. He was unconfortable with the movie, but watched it. A little close to home for him but we had many a talk because of the film.

The Duellists - with Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel. A beautiful movie set in the Napoleonic era with stunning scenery, great sword fights and solid acting. Also a Ridley Scott film. Very hypnotic and a great ending to the final duel.

Star Wars - The original. Came out when I was 14 years old. There was a new cinema opening that year and I saw in a three week sucession Forbidden Planet, 2001: A Space Odyssey and then Star Wars. In the months that followed, I saw it 35 times. Still has a potent effect on me.

Superman - The big blue boy scout has always been my favorite hero, and I still get chills as the big "S" warps on to the screen. Just a qirk I guess.

Glory - I was familiar with the history of the 54th Mass. before the movie, and the American Civil War has always been a favorite study of mine (even did some re-enactments briefly, gotta get back into it someday). I find the scenes preparing for the assault on the fort very moving. Also, an aquaintance who was a technical advisor on that movie died before it came out, so I always think of him when watching it.

Now there's a hole bunch of others that boil up and down this list, displacing some and being displaced, but right now this is my top ten.

Ok i'll have a stab at a top ten

Last of the Mohicans

Pulp fiction

13th warrior

Kingdom of heaven

Finding nemo (kids cartoon but i loved it :lol: )

Shawshank redemtion

Saving private ryan

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Usual suspects

12 angry men

Longbow

Godzilla Meets Bambie?... Conan The Barbarian?... The Princess Bride? I'm surprised I didn't see Born Yesterday in those lists. I see a major generation gap here. Have you ever heard of any of these...

Casablanca (42)

Streetcar Named Desire (51)

Citizen Kane (41)

Dr. Stranglove (64)

Raging Bull (80)

Apocolypse Now (79)

The Quite Man (52)

Shindlers List (93)

Lawrence of Arabia (62)

Gone With The Wind (39)

The Battleship Potemkin (25)

Godzilla Meets Bambie, indeed!