UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lacertus

Your Profession.

I was in Moscow once as a college kid.  Met a couple of those guys.  They don't like Americans.  But then, they don't seem to like much of anything except vodka. 

But the rest of the city was beautiful and cultured.  Plenty of young, pretty girls looking for a Western sugar daddy.

I visited Moscow several times when I lived in Kiev and St. Petersburg. A lot of hustle and bustle, sort of a Las Vegas meets London feel to it. I'm partial to St. Pete's, a very beautiful city. And yes, many women of all ages interested in Western guys. I don't think it's just because they need a sugar daddy, there seems to be a shortage of single Russian men over 30. It made for an interesting year...[clears throat]...I went from feeling like George Costanza among women in the U.S. to feeling like Brad Pitt in Russia. Then I came back suprisingly single in spite of my experiences with Olga, Sveta, Varya, etc.

Because of my background while in the military- Russian language- I now work almost exclusively on Russian and CIS issues. They can come off rather unfriendly, especially to Americans who tend to smile more than any other nationality. Once you get paste the rough exterior, they value their friendships and keep them for a long time.

I was a student guest of a Moscow university for several weeks and greatly know the value of Russian hospitality. I was also a student of Russian language and literature for four years, and know something more about the culture than sleazy night clubs. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting my post. *shrugs* Sorry if it came off wrong.

I was a student guest of a Moscow university for several weeks and greatly know the value of Russian hospitality.  I was also a student of Russian language and literature for four years, and know something more about the culture than sleazy night clubs.  I think a lot of people are misinterpreting my post.  *shrugs*  Sorry if it came off wrong.

I thought I understood it.

Be that as it may someone can have a Phd in Russian Lit and still be bowled over by the nightlife, rudeness, drinking, high level of intellectual accomplishment and somewhat aggressive members of the opposite sex. It pretty friggin' overwhelming the first few weeks in country. Then there's the wonderful customer service...

Guest Rutilia Victrix

I was a Marine....got where I wanted to go there, got out after nearly 15 years. Ah...tried to go to college, went homeless so that is unfinished. Currently I can't afford it even with aid. So....I fell back on something I learned when I was younger....

I'm a blacksmith. Now a bladesmith too, and a beginning bronzesmith. Funny, but it almost seems this is what I was meant to do. I seem to have a gift for it, or so my Master, and his Master keep telling me. I'm learning repousse and pattern-welding now, as well as casting bronze in various shapes. I'm told I have a good eye. I'm looking for a place to open my own shop now, finally. Light at the end of the tunnel, I hope.

Rutilia Victrix

hey, im a student in Australia-only 15 and plan to go to college and study history to become either a teacher or historian

Just a quick question...Does anyone know if Historians get paid much?

It quite frankly depends on your field and what you are doing as a historian. Just a couple of thoughts... A university professor can do quite well for themselves, but such a position at a high quality school can take considerable time to achieve. There are those who probably make a substantial living in publishing books, but again this depends on the subject and its popularity in the mass market.

How you chose your profession? (Or going to choose) what kind of sides of it attracted your attention? 

Ironically I didn't choose my profession. Someone noticed my online portfolio on a school webproject, contacted me and offered me the job (webdesigner/translator). It's a part time job, which means I have enough time to study. This is not what I'm planning to do for the rest of my life though..=|

What am I planning to do in the future, then? It may sound weird but I don't know yet, the only certain thing is the field in which I'd like to operate, but it's all hypotetical.

Guest Libertus

How I chose my profession -

My old man taught me to read from comic books when I was four years old. I could read fluently within half a year and had my own library card by the time I was 5, checking out and enjoying all-text books; I remember reading the Thornton W. Burgess books of children's stories, and Edmund Rostand's Chanticleer before I entered the first grade. Because of my advanced reading, I was skipped over two grades - 2nd and 7th - and had read most of Shakespeare's plays, Bullfinch's Mythology and John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress by the time I was ten years old.

In my early teens I got interested in Physics, won my High School's Math medal at graduation, and entered the University of Texas a month after my 16th birthday, with scholarships in Music, English and Math.

My Mom wanted me to be an English professor, like her brother and sister - her mother, father, and four of her siblings were English teachers.

My Dad wanted me to be a Physics professor. He was an accomplished aircraft mechanic in the Navy in WWII, and a career military senior personnelman in the Air Force, and his Dad and brothers were all welldrillers, mechanics and practical engineers. As you can see, everybody wanted me to go into the family business.

There was only one problem. I hated college. They had all these thought-filled straightjackets of chiseled-stone fact they wanted me to wear, when I wanted to explore; everybody had a damned theory, and nobody ever did anything. I pursued my own interests, skipping classes, blowing off final exams, and, in general, making a mess of my college career, until my old man was diagnosed with brain cancer. He died within the year, when I was seventeen.

His dying sobered me up a lot. I coasted through college for the next couple of years, trying to help my grieving mother take care of my younger sister and brother, until, at the age of 19, finishing my junior year in college, I met my wife. Within a year we had three kids, her twin sons by her first marriage, and a baby boy of our own.

And I had a problem. How was I going to support them? I tried a bunch of things - disk jockey, union printer - and finally, at the age of 25, left my wife and kids, trying to find a way to make a living. I got a number of jobs in construction, but they were seasonal, nothing lasting, and finally, down and out in Oakland, California, with 12 cents left in my pocket and 2 gallons of gas left in my car, I started from downtown, walking north on San Pablo Avenue, checking in every business on both sides of the street, asking, in each, if they needed help, and, after checking for 29 blocks, walked into the Fair Deal Garage, in what was then a poor black section of Oakland, and asked Fred Davis, the mechanic who owned the place, if he had work.

Fred said he'd been thinking about hiring on another mechanic, and I said "I'm your man." For the next six months I worked 60-hour weeks (Fred was always fighting with his wife), sleeping in my car half a block down the street. I finally got to buying old junk cars, fixing them up in my time off, and selling them at fair prices, making as much as $600 a week on the side.

I then got hold of my wife in Brownsville, Texas and we moved to the Missouri Ozarks, buying an old, 40-acre place I'd found, for $1500. I built a house for us there, with my own hands, in which we finally raised our kids.

But the country environment didn't provide quite the market for my mechanic's trade that I had hoped; I was fixing broken-down logging trucks in the woods, repairing bulldozers, overhauling Corvettes, all at wages that barely made ends meet, so I finally started writing articles for the big car magazines here in the US. I wrote for Road & Track, I wrote the Auto Shop Series for HOT ROD Magazine, off and on for 8 years, for Car Craft, The Mother Earth News, WORKBENCH and other magazine and newspapers, on subjects as disparate as native horticulture and the mathematics of design. And, of course, a great deal about mechanical engineering. My studies of physics and English were finally paying off, and it wasn't theoretical - I was working where the matter meets the laws of motion.

Of course, it had to end. Two years after our youngest son started his independent life, at 18, my wife had a cerebral hemmorhage; we spent the next two years in hospitals with her in a totally paralized, comatose state. I finally got her home, and was caring for her myself, when she had another hemmorhage and died with me trying to restart her heart for the fifth time.

I spent the next two years in Florida, taking care of my mother; she'd never remarried, and was living alone, by herself, in the country, with a serious heart condition. I didn't want her to die thinking none of us kids cared.

Since she died, I've written nothing but poetry and short stories; I don't have the heart for anything else. In the past 18 years I've published creative writing regularly in the United States, Canada, England, India and Australia.

And I guess you could say I'm a writer. I didn't choose it, I just chose to be alive.

Welcome to the forum Libertus.My Dad has been ill for a while now and after reading your post im feeling quite guilty :) ,i'm going to spend more time with him.

Thanks,Longbow.

i am an avid military wargame on board creator.

Roman Wargame III is my second game.

The Guinness Book of Worlds Records 1993 Edition

The game of chess is believe to have originated in ancient India

under the name "Chaturanga"( literally "four-corps")-

the name for the four traditional ancient army division.

my question to any math expert is to solve this exponential possibilities.

in chess...one piece is move for the player turn...and it take the SuperCray

Computer to defeat the best player in the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in roman wargame

the foot soldier ( infantry ) have an average 27 possible movement.

the horse soldier ( knight ) have an average 90 possible movement.

in model no. 3, their is 27 foot soldier and 9 knight.

but the player no. 1 will going to move all those player pieces, all at once.

before the player no. 2 will going to all his own player pieces, and also all at once.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the question is this... how high is the exponential variation possibilities?

in my rough estimate... it is like playing 4 chess set all at the same time in the

same board and moving all the pieces at once.

i develop a way to avoid confusion on how to identify player piece no 1 from

player pieces no. 36.

rad

==