UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Book Reviews By Forum Members

I would be interested and would make the time, unless someone else really wants to read it.

I would also be interested. However, Ursus, if you want to go ahead, that's fine with me.

Hmmm. Well, since I'm already expecting a shipment of books from Amazon, you can feel free to take this one, Skarr. If you give it the thumbs up, I'll read it on my own some day. If you give it the thumbs down then I won't even bother. :-)

hmmm, can I submit a review for books I already read, or does it have to be books just comming onto the market?

As long as its related in some way to Rome, we're happy to publish it :D

Okay, I'll start by hitting roman topics that arn't covered very much in the forums to lay the foundations for diversity in discussions in the future, like on Architecture, the actual theory of Poliocretics and Art of War (as opposed to histories of campaigns and this or that general), and a few obsure books on Philosophy.

I think the first one will be on the Penguin Classics translation of Vitae Patrum, Book 5 "The Desert Fathers".

I've already read it, just gotta sit down and write it now.

We think this months Book Give Away is a special treat for our hardworking Mod! :)

Ursus will receive the book There Is No Crime for Those Who Have Christ Religious Violence in the Christian Roman Empire by Michael Gaddis (we hope we got the topic right for you)

btw. Hamilcar Barca and Skarr, any progress on reviewing/reading the books?

oh and also Osander, how far are you?

cheers and thanks

viggen

We think this months Book Give Away is a special treat for our hardworking Mod! :)

Ursus will receive the book There Is No Crime for Those Who Have Christ Religious Violence in the Christian Roman Empire by Michael Gaddis (we hope we got the topic right for you)

btw. Hamilcar Barca and Skarr, any progress on reviewing/reading the books?

oh and also Osander, how far are you?

cheers and thanks

viggen

Viggen, I did receive the book and am in the process of reading it. It is a dry work, however, and is pretty tedious in parts. However, it does appear to have been well researched and I hope to complete this soon and commence on my review. I have another book to review too, as Rebecca East sent me her novel on Pompeii AD 62.

Thanks Skarr for the update... :)

We are happy to announce that our first Book Give Away has been reviewed!

Forum Member Hamilcar Barca, who received a free copy of Ghost of Vesuvius, just submitted to us his article.

Ghosts of Vesuvius

Thank you very much Hamilcar Barca, exellent job!" :)

cheers

viggen

Thanks Skarr for the update... :blink:

cheers

viggen

Well, finally finished it and I'm in the process of writing my review. Interesting book and took forever because it has so much information compressed in each line. Although the book is only 200 pages, it takes a long time to read each page as each sentence is a mine of information from various sources. Well, I guess you'll know soon enough once you read my review. One thing's for sure, this book requires a lot of concentration and is not a page turner, if people are looking for that kind of book. However, I found it thoroughly fascinating.