UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Book Reviews By Forum Members

Ah, so that's how you get into the reviewing side of things. Although i'm not particularly confident in my reviewing skill, i love reading books on ancient Rome, and i didn't get 97 out of 100 for my English Exam in the NSW School Certificate Exam for nothing....;)

Edited by Tobias

We are happy to announce that our fourth Book Give Away has been reviewed!

Forum Member Germanicus, who received a free copy of AD69 : The Year of four Emperors by Gwyn Morgan, just submitted to us his article.

Thank you very much Germanicus, exellent review indeed!" :)

cheers

viggen

The Patricians have decided it is Hamilcar Barcas turn for the UNRV Book of the Month "January" give away...

The Colosseum (Wonders of the World) by Mary Beard and Keith Hopkins

...the book will shortly be shipped his way... :P

I hope it will be an enjoyable read and looking forward to his review...

regards

viggen

We are happy to announce that our fifth Book Give Away has been reviewed!

Forum Member Virgil61, who received a free copy of The Fall of the Roman Empire, just submitted to us his article.

Thanks Virgil61 for this excellent review, it seems you enjoyed to read the book! :)

The Fall of the Roman Empire by Peter Heather

Excellent review, Virgil. This book was already on my to read list, and now its been moved to the top.

Thanks, I think you'll enjoy it, it's a good read.

I've already spotted grammatical errors, omissions in mentioning his use of primary sources and a few other things. Uggh.

Excellent review, Virgil. This book was already on my to read list, and now its been moved to the top.

Thanks, I think you'll enjoy it, it's a good read.

I've already spotted grammatical errors, omissions in mentioning his use of primary sources and a few other things. Uggh.

Let me know what should be fixed... i do it asap...

cheers

viggen

hi viggen, im new to this site but have been reading the forum discussions for some time, im an avid reader of books about ancient rome both fact and fiction and would be very interested in getting in on the reviewing. i'm no scholar like most of you guys but am willing to have a go.

how about it old boy??????

cheers

maximus

lol, do we know each other?

in anycase, sure any review is very welcome,

cheers

viggen

I have a book recently published by my company; a children's historical / fantasy novel concerning Ancient Rome known as The Green Bronze Mirror by Lynne Ellison, and I am willing to dispatch a free copy to any member of UNRV who wishes to review it. A synopsis is given below.

Karen is playing on the beach when she finds an ancient mirror buried in the sand. She looks into it, and is transported back in time to the Roman empire. Finding herself a slave, she faces many hair-raising adventures in her struggle to return to her own time, meeting 1st-century Christians and hiding in the catacombs.

The book was first written in the 1960s when the author was 14 years old, and was long out of print after its initial publication in 1966 until it was reprinted last year by CNPosner Books.

Edited by cuchulain

Ghosts of Vesuvius...well, I've read most of it and was very impressed with the detail and information Mr Pellegrino shared in his book. It gets veryyyy detailed on aspects of creation but once into the eruption, wow. The book is tremendous. If you are intersted in science, humanity and an armchair volcanologist you'll love this book.

J

In order to encourage more community contributions to our quickly growing site, we've come up with an idea that will hopefully inspire some new articles. (I have stumbled across major writers block and can only seem to put together a little bit here and there, lately. Hopefully that changes as summer fades away :))

Regardless, we'd like to offer random recently published books (sometimes fiction, sometimes non) to community members, courtesy of unrv, to review and submit as new articles on the site. We'd like to do this monthly (perhaps more depending on the response), and give as many who are interested a chance at a book freebie. However, to be fair, we want to start by limiting it to those who have already submitted reviews or other articles.

(presently this includes Ursus, Pompeius Magnus, Germanicus, Virgil61, Hamilcar Barca, Scanderbeg and Skarr)

If they decline of course, we'll open it up to anyone who is interested, and will also do so once they all get an opportunity (provided they want to do it). Obviously people have difficult schedules and this is not intended as a homework assignment, but as a way to say thank you for your support, while giving us a little bonus in return.

We'd appreciate any feedback on this idea from anyone, not just those folks mentioned... and we would like to get started right away.

The first book is a recent publication, and a timely one considering that Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii some 1,926 years ago this month.

Ghosts of Vesuvius : A New Look at the Last Days of Pompeii, How Towers Fall, and Other Strange Connections

For those of you who aren't mentioned by name... If you'd like to have an early shot at an occasional free book, just submit a review of a Roman related book you've read and we'll happily add you to those that are already in 'the club' :(

I would like to pumb this thread

In order to encourage more community contributions to our quickly growing site, we've come up with an idea that will hopefully inspire some new articles. (I have stumbled across major writers block and can only seem to put together a little bit here and there, lately. Hopefully that changes as summer fades away B))

Regardless, we'd like to offer random recently published books (sometimes fiction, sometimes non) to community members, courtesy of unrv, to review and submit as new articles on the site. We'd like to do this monthly (perhaps more depending on the response), and give as many who are interested a chance at a book freebie. However, to be fair, we want to start by limiting it to those who have already submitted reviews or other articles.

If they decline of course, we'll open it up to anyone who is interested, and will also do so once they all get an opportunity (provided they want to do it). Obviously people have difficult schedules and this is not intended as a homework assignment, but as a way to say thank you for your support, while giving us a little bonus in return.

We'd appreciate any feedback on this idea from anyone, not just those folks mentioned... and we would like to get started right away.

For those of you who aren't mentioned by name... If you'd like to have an early shot at an occasional free book, just submit a review of a Roman related book you've read and we'll happily add you to those that are already in 'the club'