UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hastati Armor

Hey all, I was hoping you guys could shed some light on a subject that has been bothering me.

On this site, there is a section that describes the armor worn by Hastati:

They wore a complete suit of defensive armor, consisting of the Legionary classic shield, or scutum, a simple bronze helmet (galea), a bronze breastplate or cuirass, and possibly leg greaves (ocrea).

Most references I have found describe the big 3 Roman infantry types as Heavy infantry. The Polybus however has this to say.

"Finally, the hastati wear as an ornament a plume of three purple or black feathers standing upright about a foot and a half in height. These are placed on the helmet, and the general effect combined with the rest of the armor is to make each man look twice his real height, and gives him an appearance which strikes terror into the enemy. Besides this armamen the soldiers also wear a brass brest-plate a span square which is placed in fron of the hear and called a pectorale (heart protector)"

This quote has led the Mod team to release the unit as seen below. Is there any other sources that you can think of to support the claim that they were better protected? I have read on various websites like this one that they were indeed wore additional or better armor, but I can't find a literary source that does. Besides this nagging point, I love the skins produced by this particular skinner.

hastati_wip2.jpg

I think those blades are just gladii, except the angle makes them look longer. If you look at the distance between the guard and the tip, and consider where that would fall on an average man (and remember people were shorter then) it's about 18 inches maybe only a teensy bit longer.

This quote has led the Mod team to release the unit as seen below. Is there any other sources that you can think of to support the claim that they were better protected?

Better protected than who? The other ordines? No.

You have to keep in mind that these men were generally the youngest, and subsequently the poorest of the ordines. As such, they couldn't afford the same armor that the triarii and princeps used.

Indeed, they even seem to have been used as a sort of light infantry on occasion, hinting at a lighter panolpy. For example, Flamininus sent his hastati on a rapid, stealthy march to reach Boeotian League amabassadors and frighten them over to the Roman side.

This quote has led the Mod team to release the unit as seen below. Is there any other sources that you can think of to support the claim that they were better protected?

Better protected than who? The other ordines? No.

You have to keep in mind that these men were generally the youngest, and subsequently the poorest of the ordines. As such, they couldn't afford the same armor that the triarii and princeps used.

Indeed, they even seem to have been used as a sort of light infantry on occasion, hinting at a lighter panolpy. For example, Flamininus sent his hastati on a rapid, stealthy march to reach Boeotian League amabassadors and frighten them over to the Roman side.

Better protected then the screenshot I provided. The poorest were delegated to the skirmisher units weren't they? Polybus says that those rated at 10,000 d wore chain. Wasn't there something more affordable then that?

Thanks for the feedback.

Better protected then the screenshot I provided.

Oh, the screenshots are actually a very good representation of a 3rd or 2nd C. hastati. All that's missing is the left leg greave.

The poorest were delegated to the skirmisher units weren't they?

Yes, but the velites(skirmishers) weren't one of the three ordines

Polybus says that those rated at 10,000 d wore chain. Wasn't there something more affordable then that?

Yes. The pectorale you have represented there would be an example of more affordable protection.