UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Virgil61

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Also worth noting:  Even the minor characters are written/acted so they become three demensional.  For example, the surgeon pausing in mid-sentence to say "that one is copper" as he is receiving his payment made him such a much more real person.

Especially after the "Empire" miniseries, which was nearly unwatchable, "Rome" is truly satisfying.  I hope it ends up with at least five or six seasons of episodes.

14436[/snapback]

Agreed... the detail put into the minor characters helps bring 'Rome' to life, and makes it 'feel' real. They've really done a wonderful job.

I too hope that it will go beyond the first season (provided the budget and production quality stays up to par). I worry that it will be hard to age Octavian in future seasons, but I'm sure they would figure something out. Max Pirkis (also in Master and Commander) is an excellent young actor and I expect we'll be seeing alot of him in the future.

Welcome to the forum Jordon

Sorry Virgil. My snippy response was directed at the negative -- in my view, ill-informed -- portrayals of Octavian in

I found this site becuase HBO got me really interested in Rome after seeing the series which I love so far!

As far as it getting renewed, I am pretty sure second season is definite...after that dont know.

I did read that they already had second season already written, and after the 4th episode if it does as good as they are expecting, will probably announce a second season like they did with Deadwood and start taping and be ready by end of next year.

Just saw the third episode. Very entertaining. One of the things I like about the series is that they don't feel the need to explain everything. The characters are Roman, so they know who the gods are, and what "plebs" and "conscript fathers" mean. I liked that the graffiti on the front of Atia's house was in Latin.

Now that Octavia's husband "Glabius" has been killed, I wonder if they will have Octavia marry Gaius Marcellus, to whom she was already supposed to have been married, or just leave her single until her brother has her marry Mark Antony. I guess you have to have some soap opera-type elements, it does not bother me.

I am looking forward to seeing Caesar's triumph, with his face painted red.

I recorded all the shows on "When in Rome" week on the History Channel, and have seen about half. I think those shows do a nice job as well. I liked most of "Caesar's Greatest Battle," although it was silly to have two men in cars portray Caesar and Vercingetorix. The computer simulations of the battle at Alesia were useful in understanding the terrain and the impact of Caesar's trenches around the town.

I saw third episode last night and enjoyed it.

Just quick question, the two characters Lucius and Titus are they real people in history?

Just quick question, the two characters Lucius and Titus are they real people in history?

14592[/snapback]

Completely fictitious.

As for the 3rd episode... the theft of the treasury by Pollo makes me nervous that the series will start slipping into the ridiculous, but as I'm still enjoying it... I'm not worried yet.

They are still doing a fine job, for the most part, of making everyone's role believable.

14592[/snapback]

Completely fictitious.

As for the 3rd episode... the theft of the treasury by Pollo makes me nervous that the series will start slipping into the ridiculous, but as I'm still enjoying it... I'm not worried yet.

They are still doing a fine job, for the most part, of making everyone's role believable.

14594[/snapback]

Yeah I chuckled at end when Titus realized what he found and moved really quickly to get the wagon out of view.

QUOTE(Denec @ Sep 12 2005, 07:08 AM)

Completely fictitious.

I'm not altogether sure about them being "completely" ficticious. Its been a while since I read the Commentaries but I do recall Caesar telling of a legionary asking for forgiveness after losing his shield in a river after he fought off some Britons. And there was the centurion at Dyrracium who'd had his shield pierced by 100+ arrows and Caesar singled him out for distinction. Not sure if he mentions thier names though. As far as the treasury goes, Pompey and the optimates fled Rome so fast they forgot about it. Caesar siezed the treasury upon arrival which made him very unpopular.

QUOTE(Denec @ Sep 12 2005, 07:08 AM)

Completely fictitious.

I'm not altogether sure about them being "completely" ficticious. Its been a while since I read the Commentaries but I do recall Caesar telling of a legionary asking for forgiveness after losing his shield in a river after he fought off some Britons. And there was the centurion at Dyrracium who'd had his shield pierced by 100+ arrows and Caesar singled him out for distinction. Not sure if he mentions thier names though. As far as the treasury goes, Pompey and the optimates fled Rome so fast they forgot about it. Caesar siezed the treasury upon arrival which made him very unpopular.

14607[/snapback]

Indeed, my apologies, they are not completely fictitious as names in history... however, their lives beyond a single event are essentially made up entirely. There is no historical record for these men beyond the following passage from De Bello Gallico. I did jumped the gun on the use of 'completely fictitious and I hope all will be forgiven :D

From the Gallic Wars book 5 chapter 44.

In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, "Why do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalizing your valor do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes." When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after. Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succors him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amid the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succor and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other.

Just a bit earlier... the siege of Quintus Cicero's camp at the hands of the Nervii.

Its interesting how that plays out in the long run. Quintus, always in his brothers shadow wishes to follow/join the Caesarian camp but chooses to follow his brother instead. Cicero being Pater Familias, the head of the family makes the descision for the whole family and everyone is obliged to follow and dutifully does so. An indication that family loyalty was prized above almost all things.

Now that Octavia's husband "Glabius" has been killed, I wonder if they will have Octavia marry Gaius Marcellus, to whom she was already supposed to have been married, or just leave her single until her brother has her marry Mark Antony.

Indeed, my apologies, they are not completely fictitious as names in history... however, their lives beyond a single event are essentially made up entirely.  There is no historical record for these men beyond the following passage from De Bello Gallico.  I did jumped the gun on the use of 'completely fictitious and I hope all will be forgiven  :D

From the Gallic Wars book 5 chapter 44.

14610[/snapback]

That's a particularly vivid scene from Caesar. I'd not remembered the names though, thanks for bringing that up.

It may not be historically accurate, but it's nice to see Hollywood writers actually reading ancient histories.