UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Virgil61

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

On the series, I read somewhere that they intend to film this series over a five year period at a budget of $ 400M and they have planned 60 episodes in all to tell the entire story. Of course, it all depends on the first two seasons and if it's not a real hit by the second season, they may scrap it. I hope they film all 60 episodes as it would be something to look forward to. I heard that most of the cast have already signed five year contracts with HBO so that they can keep this under budget and avoid situations like the Gandolfini renegotiation.

Oh man I hope you're right. I wish they'd cover the 2nd Punic War, that'd be awesome...!

I liked the scene with Atia deciding who gets to kill who, if the mob get into the house :P

I thought Pullo gave Vorenus some sound advice with regards to the lady's :) he cracks me up,i hope the Roman Army was full of Legionaries like him.I just wish we were seeing more of Caesar,hopefully he'll be in future episodes a bit more.

Is it only me or does Caesar seem lethargic in every episode?

I'm still waiting for the dynamic personality that he was, where he would march along with the other soldiers, jump into a ditch and dig along with the other soldiers, move around the camp and generally kept busy doing a hundred different things from giving dictations to two clerks simultaneously to engaging in conversations with his legates who had a hard time keeping up with Caesar.

He looks extremely weary and almost defeated, not the confident portrayal I expected. I must say that I'm disappointed although I'm pleased with the overall series so far and have become a fan.

I like the portrayal of Caesar. I agree that he is not as energetic as he should be, but he definitely has that look and air about him that he is four or five moves ahead of everyone else. He is also more confident than arrogant. I think back to Rex Harrison's portrayal in "Cleopatra;" he was just too haughty and mostly played Caesar as someone who was irritated at something. I do not get any "defeated" vibe from this Caesar - to me he seems in total control of events.

I agree that the show has other people react as if Caesar is energetic, rather than showing the energy. You do not see him pushing his legion to move so fast that it becomes legend. Instead, you just hear Pompey's and Cato's disbelief that he has crossed into Italy already. However, when you actually see the army on the move, it looks leisurely.

Let's see how it goes when he is in Egypt with Cleopatra.

Is it only me or does Caesar seem lethargic in every episode...

He looks extremely weary and almost defeated, not the confident portrayal I expected...

14763[/snapback]

No, I agree completely and mentioned a similar feeling in my first post a while back. Ciaran Hinds seems a fine actor, but somehow he's not making Caesar into the legendary, energetic and charismatic leader that we know he was. 'Weary' is an excellent description. I think perhaps that he is trying so hard to make Caesar so refined and patrician that he is coming across in this other direction?

Skarr and Primus, I respect your observations. Are there other actors you feel might have been better suited to play Caesar, or do you think Hinds "fits" the part but just needs to attack it differently? Specifically, do you think he is capable of portraying and conveying the legendary energy and charisma of Caesar? I am not certain that Hinds has that sense of physical energy it would take. As such, it may be more of a casting issue than a performance issue.

In the last twenty or so years of various TV movies and miniseries, I haven't yet seen a Ceasar that satisfies me. I thought Jeremy Sisto in that "Julius Caesar" miniseries of a couple of years back did not cut an imposing figure at all. I had no sense that he was the best of all the Romans. I do think Hinds is more of what I expected from Caesar, which is a sense that he is in charge and smarter than everyone else.

Caesar is a tough role. He is Kennedy (charisma, intelligence), Churchill (eloquence, statesmanship), and Patton (military ability) all rolled into one. Very few actors can convey the dignitas necessary.

He's a fine actor,but i dont think hes portraying the great man very well.But thats more to do with the script than the actor.What do you think of the other actors portrayal of the characters? i like Mark Antony's actor James Purefoy and i think Polly Walker gives a good portrayal as Atia.What do you think of Kenneth Cranham as Pompey Magnus?

Longbow, I agree that James Purefoy is very good as Mark Antony. He combines Antony's conflicting qualities of discipline, recklessness, carnality, and vitality. You can see how he can draw people to him. I also like Kenneth Cranham as Pompey. He seems more led than leading now, like he has lost the fire in his belly, which fits Pompey at this point. Polly Walker is bigger than life, and completely entertaining when she is on screen. Basically, the cast is extremely strong. I like everybody.

Except for Ciaran Hinds... there is not an actor who I dont like in their roles. Pompey, Brutus, Antony, Octavian, Pollo, Vorenus, Atia and Servilia are all brilliant. Octavia seems a bit too 'modern' for my taste but that is the script, not the acting.

Cicero seems a bit too young and soft spoken.. he should be more vocal, but I do like the acting.

Did Cato have a stroke? Still he is very effective despite the twisted sneering. I do think Cato though when I see this guy... a crotchety SoB. ;)

Funny. As soon as I switch to showtime, HBO comes out with something good. I hope to buy the box sets when they come out. They should release the first season when it's done on like the PPV for like $9.99 allday 1st season kinda thing. But they probably won't.

OK, episode four was great TV. Caesar and Mark Antony had their Don Corleone and Sonny moment ("never let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking") and Pullo is fortune's pet. Servilia seemed too passive and unsure. The scene in Vorenus' house with Pompey's son when Pullo comes in and saves the day was exciting and dramatic. They got the Augers just right. I still think Ciaran Hinds is doing a good job as Caesar. What do the rest of you think about this episode?

Certainly this was the slowest paced episode (#4), as I found myself waiting for something to happen. I was disturbed by the implication that Caesar and Octavian will be suspected of having 'relations'. Regardless, I am thoroughly enjoying the banter between Pollo and Vorenus and look forward to seeing how they develop the myriad of storylines they've built.

It's an excellent example of doing historical fiction correctly. Mixing in just enough fiction with a general consideration for historical accuracy. I am still applauding the attention to detail.

Primus, I missed that Caesar/Octavian tryst implication completely, but now with your comment I understand what Atia was referring to in the previews for next week. Hopefully that will be a short-lived plot arc. What poem/poet was Octavia quoting at the party?

I just wanted to add something that I haven't seen mentioned yet...

The show's co-creator and executive producer is long-time Hollywood writer John Milius, credited with many a memorable screenplay, as is mentioned on HBO's site:

John Milius' (co-creator, executive producer) credits include "Rough Riders," "Clear and Present Danger," "Geronimo: An American Legend," "Farewell to the King," "Extreme Prejudice," "Miami Vice," "Red Dawn," "Conan the Barbarian," "1941," "Apocalypse Now," "Jaws," "The Wind and the Lion," "Magnum Force," "Dillinger," "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean," "Dirty Harry," "Evel Knievel" and "The Emperor."

Milius has penned quite a few screenplays including television episodes, (Miami Vice in particular) and has ran the gamut of content - from politics to violence to comedy.

My guess is that he's the main guy responsible for such great writing, believable characters, and high production values, and I tip my hat to him.

(P.S. - great forums you have here, wish I would have stumbled upon them a long time before now!)