UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Virgil61

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

It seemed to me that the writers were putting together plot lines for a show that was going to extend beyond a 2nd season. Realizing that it wasn't going to happen, I got the impression that they hurriedly closed the story. The Timon storyline in particular stands out, in my opinion.

Add the fact that the writers of season 2 simply weren't as strong as those for season 1 and there are some definite head scratching moments.

My kids have become fans, but as they both know the history pretty well (through mama ramming it down their little throats since birth) although we do continue to watch it's mainly for soap and laughs. We pick out our highlight of the week. Sunday's episode was Lepidus (Vibert is perfect) being left to prattle on his own while big Ant and little Gus walked out.

I've surprisingly switched over to following the fictional plot, as the history has been ravaged beyond all recognition. I actually shed a womanly tear for our Eirene - I have to say, that I have really warmed to this girl. And now we want that bitch Gaia to die!!!!!

But talking of rushing and plot continuity etc. - it seems highly improbable to me that the writers began with the creation of Gaia as gorgeous, slouchy tart-with-a-heart and turn her into a Borgia within two episodes. And despite my earlier complaint on another thread about Erastes morphing seamlessly into Memmio - I actually quite like Memmio. He's dirty and sleasy in a compelling sort of way, and the gangland battle was great on Sunday.

If I could sum it all up with just one comment, it would be:

James Purefoy is the best Mark Antony I have ever seen in my life.

Edited by The Augusta

I agree. Now if young Marlon Brando been given the same script...

I've surprisingly switched over to following the fictional plot, as the history has been ravaged beyond all recognition. I actually shed a womanly tear for our Eirene - I have to say, that I have really warmed to this girl. And now we want that bitch Gaia to die!!!!!

SPOILERS:

Well your demand was answered! It seems as if they are trying to kill off as many characters as possible, seeing as the show's finally reaching its conclusion.

Is it just me or are there the strange continuity errors in the Show? For instance in one scene we see Mascius still in bandages and on crutches after his assault in the last episode. Yet Lucius the Younger has grown up, even though he was a little boy in the last episode (if my memory serves me). It would seem that Mascius has taken a few years to get over some bumps and scratches (unless he's been in other fights since).

Have to agree with Augusta and MPC on James Purefoy's Antony - it is excellent. His descent from charming rogue to broken drug-addict was performed brilliantly on this wednesday's episode.

My kids have become fans, but as they both know the history pretty well (through mama ramming it down their little throats since birth) although we do continue to watch it's mainly for soap and laughs. We pick out our highlight of the week. Sunday's episode was Lepidus (Vibert is perfect) being left to prattle on his own while big Ant and little Gus walked out.

But talking of rushing and plot continuity etc. - it seems highly improbable to me that the writers began with the creation of Gaia as gorgeous, slouchy tart-with-a-heart and turn her into a Borgia within two episodes. And despite my earlier complaint on another thread about Erastes morphing seamlessly into Memmio - I actually quite like Memmio. He's dirty and sleasy in a compelling sort of way, and the gangland battle was great on Sunday.

If I could sum it all up with just one comment, it would be:

Aren't you forgetting a certain young lady who made an appearance in Sundays episode???

C'mon out with it Augusta, What did you really think about the young Livia???

Did she live up to your expectations or were you so annoyed that you couldn't even bring yourself to write about her?? :lol:

C'mon out with it Augusta, What did you really think about the young Livia???

Did she live up to your expectations or were you so annoyed that you couldn't even bring yourself to write about her?? :D

Did you say something, GPM? ..............

Ahem: I was impressed with the fact that they had done enough research to bring our dear Alfidia into things. It was a great pity that this research did not include bringing the foetus Drusus into Livia's womb.

Octavian: How would you like to be married to me?

What Alfidia should have said: My husband has just committed suicide in his tent, half our family are decimated - of course, she would be THRILLED to marry you. Now, it's just a question of getting rid of your non-existent Scribonia and non-existent baby daughter.

Yuk! As for Livia herself......... Well, she had a lovely green dress on. Last night, she had no dress on. Nuff said. A gratuitous scene, the point of which was to show that she could read his every thought. This could have been done in a stroll through the garden :lol: And last week we found that far from being a bit of a raver in his youth, our Gus is in fact sexually repressed!

As for the continuity issues - last night I couldn't even work out what year I was supposed to be in! They also merged two stories, it seemed. The famine caused by the halting of the grain supply led to the Sicilian War in 36BC - and we did have a mention of Lepidus and his legions in Africa. But, as Decimus says, young Lucius has grown up. Perhaps this episode spanned five years? I did actually give a cheer when the camera cut to Atia lifting up a blonde child. Ah - our Antonia! At least she is here. It's a pity there's no-one for her to marry!

Now then - a plea for fairness here: As much as I love my Gus, he was totally white-washed in regards to Antony's will in this episode. It was NOT handed to him on a plate - he stole it from the Vestals, which was a highly illegal act. So, the writers white-wash him about this (an act he committed), yet invent sexual repression to make us loathe him. Well - whatever floats yer boat, I suppose!

Performances: Purefoy can do no wrong. Walker, now that she is finally cowed, reminds us that she can play a convincing Roman matron - and I actually felt a bit sorry for her in the scene with Vorenus outside the palace. Please, Mr. Agrippa - we know you were lovely, but will you grow a pair of testicles before Actium? As for Woods, I have seen him in other work and realise here what he is trying to do, to play the cold, ruthless tyrant behind the impassive, serene mask. He is a bit inexperienced, but does OK. However, a flash of Augustus' well-known, historical humour wouldn't go amiss - but that's for the writers to sort out, not Woods. However, he's far too tall. ;)

Our family highlight: Vorenus telling Antony that Octavia had called him cowardly scum, and it was written into the faces of both actors that they knew she spoke the truth.

Phew - thank god it's nearly over. Get your harpax out, Marcus!

Just to add to Augusta's concerns about the show... as I recall, Sextus Pompey, an instrumental character in the events at hand, never receives a mention directly or indirectly. I understand that the writers wouldn't want to confuse the viewers by mentioning the involvement of Pompey's son after they had already killed off his fictional son earlier in the series, but Octavian or Antony might have mentioned trouble with pirates even in passing conversation at some point.

Just to add to Augusta's concerns about the show... as I recall, Sextus Pompey, an instrumental character in the events at hand, never receives a mention directly or indirectly. I understand that the writers wouldn't want to confuse the viewers by mentioning the involvement of Pompey's son after they had already killed off his fictional son earlier in the series, but Octavian or Antony might have mentioned trouble with pirates even in passing conversation at some point.

Yes, getting back to all seriousness, here, PP. I do realise that in any dramatised version of events, a few liberties can be taken - perhaps, even, must be taken in order to present a captivating story. I have no problem with little tweakings here and there. But it's the lack of consistency that gets to me. For instance, I thought that the scene last week where Antony and Octavian walked out on Lepidus, totally ignoring his input on matters, was a very good attempt at historical accuracy. His input clearly did not count for either of them. So, if they have gone to such trouble to portray the relationship between the three, why the heck was there no mention of his attempted 'coup' in Sicily? In fact, as much as I love Ronan Vibert (who, in my mind, brought this vapid politician to life beautifully) why bother with Lepidus at all? He contributed greatly to events when he made his ham-fisted attempts after the Sicilian War. One third of the Triumvirate was ruthlessly removed by Octavian.

Last night's historical events ended with Octavian's declaration of war in the Senate, therefore the viewer knows this is now a battle between East/West, Antony and Octavian. Has no-one thought to ask where Lepidus is? Did I miss any mention in the dialogue? No, I don't believe I did. These kind of slips are quite shoddy in my estimation. And at least a mention of Agrippa's brilliant role in the Sicilian War may have at least done the poor man some justice. Instead he has been portrayed as an incorruptible but ineffectual lovestruck rustic, hiding in the kitchens with his beloved.

On a positive note, however, I found the fictional storyline ending where Pullo threw Gaia into the Tiber quite powerful. It contrasted beautifully with the funeral of Eirene.

Yes, getting back to all seriousness, here, PP. I do realise that in any dramatised version of events, a few liberties can be taken - perhaps, even, must be taken in order to present a captivating story. I have no problem with little tweakings here and there. But it's the lack of consistency that gets to me. For instance, I thought that the scene last week where Antony and Octavian walked out on Lepidus, totally ignoring his input on matters, was a very good attempt at historical accuracy. His input clearly did not count for either of them. So, if they have gone to such trouble to portray the relationship between the three, why the heck was there no mention of his attempted 'coup' in Sicily? In fact, as much as I love Ronan Vibert (who, in my mind, brought this vapid politician to life beautifully) why bother with Lepidus at all? He contributed greatly to events when he made his ham-fisted attempts after the Sicilian War. One third of the Triumvirate was ruthlessly removed by Octavian.

Last night's historical events ended with Octavian's declaration of war in the Senate, therefore the viewer knows this is now a battle between East/West, Antony and Octavian. Has no-one thought to ask where Lepidus is? Did I miss any mention in the dialogue? No, I don't believe I did. These kind of slips are quite shoddy in my estimation. And at least a mention of Agrippa's brilliant role in the Sicilian War may have at least done the poor man some justice. Instead he has been portrayed as an incorruptible but ineffectual lovestruck rustic, hiding in the kitchens with his beloved.

On a positive note, however, I found the fictional storyline ending where Pullo threw Gaia into the Tiber quite powerful. It contrasted beautifully with the funeral of Eirene.

Hi folks,

I

Welcome Centurio... no you're not butting in at all.

Seems the general sentiment of season 2 (on both sides of the Atlantic) is that it simply falls far short of the expectations from season 1. Simply, it's the writing. Generally, I've found the acting to be superb, even if we disagree with the portrayal of particular characters (Octavian and Agrippa in particular, from my perspective).

Seems the general sentiment of season 2 (on both sides of the Atlantic) is that it simply falls far short of the expectations from season 1. Simply, it's the writing. Generally, I've found the acting to be superb, even if we disagree with the portrayal of particular characters (Octavian and Agrippa in particular, from my perspective).

I think we can all drink to that, PP. The script has really been poor this time around, although I even thought there were some weaknesses in Season 1. On the whole, it was better though.

...really a pitty that the show only had two season...